Got this guitar probably 10 years ago as a cheap kit. My father (who's played as long as I can remember and for quite a while before that ) helped me assemble and set it up. It wasn't a bad guitar and I dug the custom headstock we did but after almost a decade it was ready for an overhaul:
The original look. After several staining attempts we decided to spray it orange:

Stripped down and re-painting process begun. It's an "almond white":

Assembled! and while it was torn apart I had the plastics division at the company I used to work for "dip" my pickguard in a snake skin wash. I couldn't have been happier with how it came out.

Closeup of custom headstock:

But that single coil in the bridge just wasn't cutting it. Upgraded to a DiMarzio DP182 and this is how it sits today:

And a vid of it in action shortly after completion. Ignore the lame "shredding", lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uioWEGgFacg
Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoy the little story
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Looks pretty neat. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the headstock, but I guess it's good for carrying. Great work.

Thanks, man! It's a love it or hate it thing, haha. I've never seen another one out there, though
Looks good except for that hideous headstock.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Looks good except for that hideous headstock.

Haha, thanks? :P It's definitely not for everyone but it's not a guitar I'd ever sell. Lord knows I'd never get it's sentimental value's worth.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
how the hell is it s frankenstrat??? looks nothin like evh's

like the pickgaurd tho
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Quote by Strat-agist
Looks cool.Set it in a stand on stage and watch all the dead stares.

Haha, no doubt! And thanks!

Quote by SAVE_US.DWD

how the hell is it s frankenstrat??? looks nothin like evh's

like the pickgaurd tho

Haha, yeah definitely a different style. I wasn't even really thinking of his when I titled it that. I've heard that term used so much for so many different guitars I seldom think back to his. I mainly mean in terms of a lot of different parts thrown together to make (in my opinion) a real beast of a guitar.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86

Haha, yeah definitely a different style. I wasn't even really thinking of his when I titled it that. I've heard that term used so much for so many different guitars I seldom think back to his. I mainly mean in terms of a lot of different parts thrown together to make (in my opinion) a real beast of a guitar.

okay i get it

you should check out my 78 strat i just posted in the customization threads
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Quote by ianae86

EVH's was the first strat style(though we now know it was a Kramer right?)to boast a humbucker in the bridge position that I know. I'm sure there were some before that didn't grace the cover of Circus Magazine. And this strat does have an H at the bridge,eg.a stacked one. So what was SAVEUS.DWD expecting to see,one of those overpriced reproduction models? I dig the headstock.
Quote by Guitorb
EVH's was the first strat style(though we now know it was a Kramer right?)to boast a humbucker in the bridge position that I know. I'm sure there were some before that didn't grace the cover of Circus Magazine. And this strat does have an H at the bridge,eg.a stacked one. So what was SAVEUS.DWD expecting to see,one of those overpriced reproduction models? I dig the headstock.

Here's a guy who knows his facts! Thanks, Guitorb!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
I like everything but the pickguard. It just looks very unprofessional, sorry.
Quote by Slay 'Em
I like everything but the pickguard. It just looks very unprofessional, sorry.

Haha, no need for apologies. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. The irony of it is that the pickguard is the only thing on the guitar that was done professionally. Body was (slowly/precisely) rattle canned, the guitar was assembled/set up at home, but the pickguard was done by a certified automobile interior plastics division.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
i like the idea of the hadstock, just think it can be perfected...nice guitar though.
I dont suppose you know how the neck was done? Did you (or whoever made it) make the whole thing? I'd like to try messin around with that idea but I simply dont have the time to make a whole neck...
dam nice. and the fretboards a nice chunck of rosewood, too!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Prisoner5
i like the idea of the hadstock, just think it can be perfected...nice guitar though.
I dont suppose you know how the neck was done? Did you (or whoever made it) make the whole thing? I'd like to try messin around with that idea but I simply dont have the time to make a whole neck...

What about the headstock are you on the fence about? I really like how it came out, I didn't want actual finger grips (not gonna rip on Vai too much, haha). Just curious what you would've done different?

I didn't build it nearly from scratch, it was actually one of those really affordable luthier kits. You can find them on eBay from time to time but we found mine at a local guitar shop quite a while back. The neck was a mess when we got it though. Took a lot of time/patience/vice work but now it's a dream to play. Can't hardly stand to pick up genuine "strats" anymore, haha. They just feel so heavy compared to mine which I'm almost positive is a swamp ash plus minimum paint/clear.

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
dam nice. and the fretboards a nice chunck of rosewood, too!

Not bad for a cheapie
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Oct 19, 2008,
i suggest the serpentine strat for a name, due to the pick guard.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
i suggest the serpentine strat for a name, due to the pick guard.

Haha! I like that!
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
What about the headstock are you on the fence about? I really like how it came out, I didn't want actual finger grips (not gonna rip on Vai too much, haha). Just curious what you would've done different?

I didn't build it nearly from scratch, it was actually one of those really affordable luthier kits. You can find them on eBay from time to time but we found mine at a local guitar shop quite a while back. The neck was a mess when we got it though. Took a lot of time/patience/vice work but now it's a dream to play. Can't hardly stand to pick up genuine "strats" anymore, haha. They just feel so heavy compared to mine which I'm almost positive is a swamp ash plus minimum paint/clear.

Not bad for a cheapie

I personally am a big fan of flowing/curving lines, so I probably would've gone a bit more with the "Vai" finger grips and would have integrated it all into a more graceful overall composition.
And thanks for that, I'll have to look them up.
I think that's a Saga kit. They leave the headstock as one big chunk like that for legal reasons. Fender notices stuff like that. Instead of trying to make it look like every other strat out there you made an original. I hope you reflect the same creativity in your playing.