Page 1 of 2
I play in a wide variety of tunings, but mainly Standard E, Drop D, and Drop C. I've dropped my five string to Drop A# before, which was ridiculous. But it's pretty fun to experiment with tunings. It's hard to beat good ol' standard though.
I really hate anything other than standard, though I'm beginning to get accustomed to drop D.

Also, on a somewhat-related note, I once tuned all 6 of my guitar strings to D once. It was weird as hell.
I prefer standard tuning, but sometimes drop D too. Half step down if the song calls for it.
signature
one of my guitars is half-step down tuning and the others are in standard.
when I had a bass it was in standard
Quote by thanksgiving
You facepalm like a pro... man I want you in bed.
Yeah, it took me a while to get accustomed to D, and eventually to C, but the genre of music I play the most calls for the low, weird tunings a lot. I think it's best to feel comfortable playing in lots of tunings, that way you can play more genres.
I normally kept my ibanez in standard because it has a floating bridge, but i recently tuned and intonated it for drop d because most of the songs my band plays are in drop d
E standard and drop D mainly.
Dabble in a bit of Half-step down tuning everynow and again.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Standard, drop D, Drop C, open A D and G, Bb, DADGAD and Eb
that about rounds it out
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
Standard, drop D, Drop C, open A D and G, Bb, DADGAD and Eb
that about rounds it out

Lol, that just about all the tuning that are used by anyone (with some exceptions, like korn and slipknot tuning)
Quote by Echoplex
Lol, that just about all the tuning that are used by anyone (with some exceptions, like korn and slipknot tuning)

I get bored easily
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Oh geez...

Standard, Drop D, Eb standard, Drop C# (Eb tuning's equivalent of drop d), D standard, Drop C, C standard, Drop A# (Mostly for playing In Flames).

And occasionally I play with DADGAD, DADGBD, some other stuff if I feel like it. I love experimenting with it all.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
I use special tunings depending on chords for classical music - e.g Gymnopedie No. 1 by Satie.

Also: Standard, Drop D, Half Step Down, Whole Step Down, C# standard, Open C, Open G, drop C...

That's most of them.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
E standard 98% of the time. Drop D for like, two songs and Eb for another two.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I generally play in B standard on a 5er, though I may consider dropping it all half a step and seeing how that sounds.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I only ever play standard, very rarely Drop d, but the last time i had it in drop was probably around 3 weeks ago
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Half a step down, Standard, and Half a step up

RARELY Drop A, that is usually when I double my guitar pieces in AADGBe
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
E and D Standard are my preferred tunings and their dropped counterparts.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by lordofthefood1
Half a step down, Standard, and Half a step up

RARELY Drop A, that is usually when I double my guitar pieces in AADGBe

bass forum?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Mostly standard, drop D, half step down
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
I play a fiver and I keep it in Drop A most of the time (A E A D G) sometimes i play in drop D but I very rarely tune any lower.
D standard's my favourite and if I ever get to writing something, I'll probably use that, but I keep my guitars and bass in E just because it is most common and my strings don't rattle as much in it.
I play mostly in E standard because I tend to play a lot of stuff in standard even if its not just outta fear of messing up my neck. Though now my band is starting to play with more drop D. But I have drop A'd my 4 string and dropped my bass an octave just for the hell of it for like 5 minutes then re-tuned.
I hate playing in half step down, mostly because it sounds incorrect, which annoys the hell out of me. I guess also because it makes me feel more metal, which I don't want to be.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
E standard, Eb, D, and C#. Those are the 4 tunings I play in, not counting the low B (It gets tuned accordingly).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by ScottB.
bass forum?

Uh, it was a bass reply?
the Drop A thing was for when the guitar is tuned in the manner I stated
(the half step up is for when the guitar is tuned in Drop C)

I should have been more clear

anyways, does anybody else ever uptune?
Now say his name.....
usually standard, sometimes drop D, and I have tuned to DADF# before. easy if you're lazy about chords.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by lordofthefood1

Yeah, sometimes I tune my B on my five-string up to a C to match some Dream Theater songs.

But I rarely change tunings. I can't stand going more than a whole step down. Drop D isn't my cup of tea. I need my strings in fourths, dammit.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Yeah, sometimes I tune my B on my five-string up to a C to match some Dream Theater songs.

But I rarely change tunings. I can't stand going more than a whole step down. Drop D isn't my cup of tea. I need my strings in fourths, dammit.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Drop tunings
why Drop C when I can C standard with a bonus high string.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
I keep my 5er in C.

I like the way this thread is full of guitarists. DADGAD would probably be horrible on bass.
Mostly standard but ive been playin drop D a lot for a few rage against the machine songs

Ive tried drop C and stuff a few times, sorta worked but never sounded right
A friend told me that the bassist from the Metal band Nile tunes his to Drop A!!
I tried it... Once..
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Eb standard usually. I drop the Eb to Db for certain songs.
Quote by Slay 'Em
E-A-D-G sometimes but mostly C-G-C-F-G.

so you lose a string when you tune to standard tuning? what kinda bass are you playing?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
EADG, DADG, CGCF , Eb,Ab,Db,Gb, DGCF...

Ermm alot...
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Page 1 of 2