how much of a diffference do you think there is between someones maximumn picking speed in something theyve written and maximum improv speed?
That all depends on what style of music they write. What I write, solo-wise, is my fastest, but my riffs are not. I know when I do get faster in soloing, I will not write that fast. (I think MAB should jump off a cliff)
Erika(Interviewer): If not music then what?

Mikael Akerfeldt: Errr…death. [Serious but laughs]
My fastest is like 160 bpms on 16th notes.

But in short spurts, I can't play top speed all through the jam.

When I'm improving around 140 bpms, it feels so right. I can go on for hours.

Most of the songs you will hear on my profile is around 105 - 140 bpms.
Quote by hateCOBHCcrew
That all depends on what style of music they write. What I write, solo-wise, is my fastest, but my riffs are not. I know when I do get faster in soloing, I will not write that fast. (I think MAB should jump off a cliff)

I agree. I'll listen to Slash any day, but MAB... he's just fast - no soul.
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
Depends how imaginative they are. Even Guthrie Govan hears ideas he knows he will never alternate pick, at any significant tempo.

Otoh, a really dull player is never at a loss for shit ideas to pick really fast.
Quote by Freepower

Otoh, a really dull player is never at a loss for shit ideas to pick really fast.

so so so so true

im curious as to what spawned this question and what kind of validity (if any) it holds. i know for me the speed i can pick is the speed i can pick, regardless of whether its thought out ahead of time or improv'ed
Yeah I don't like the whole speed thing to much, at least when it's held as so important. Soul is something you either have or you don't. You don't have to play like Dragonforce to look impressive on the guitar.
Erika(Interviewer): If not music then what?

Mikael Akerfeldt: Errr…death. [Serious but laughs]