or is this the best jam ever made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgia1FYfwmQ

There are some very cool melodic moments in there. This a perfect example of switching between major and minor pentatonics within a song. Also listen to the way he changes up his tone - in some places I can't tell if it was his wah pedal or his tone knob he uses to do that. I have certainly seen videos of him using his tone knob to maximum effect (as Clapton does as well).

This is a great lesson to all the UG'ers concerned about speed. This song is stand-alone proof that speed don't really matter dat much. But Jimi still throws a couple of indecipherable licks in there, just for fun. This is also a great showcase for the different melodies and rhythms that can be created over one simple progression.

I especially like the melodic manipulation he does at about the 5:15-5:25 mark.
Last edited by Philbigtime at Oct 16, 2008,
No, it's not the best. It's a bog-standard blues jam by a good guitar player.

Quote by Philbigtime
This is a great lesson to all the UG'ers concerned about speed.

It has nothing at all to do with speed.
Quote by Retro Rocker
No, it's not the best. It's a bog-standard blues jam by a good guitar player.

It has nothing at all to do with speed.

Did you listen to the whole thing? (not being sarcastic, just seriously asking). I suppose you're right that it's not the best EVER, it just happens to be the one I can't stop listening to at the moment. There are some really fantastic licks that he throws in there.

As a matter of fact, I am curious to know what you might consider to be some the "jammininest" jams. I will definitely take a listen.

Oh yeah, and if Jimi Hendrix is a "good" guitar player, who do you consider to be a "great" guitar player?
I suppose I DID come off as a bit of a prick there.

Quote by Philbigtime
Did you listen to the whole thing? (not being sarcastic, just seriously asking). I suppose you're right that it's not the best EVER, it just happens to be the one I can't stop listening to at the moment. There are some really fantastic licks that he throws in there.

Yeah, I did. And I think you're right, it does have some nice licks, I just get tired of the same old bluesy thing. I'm not sure why, I used to love it.

Quote by Philbigtime
As a matter of fact, I am curious to know what you might consider to be some the "jammininest" jams. I will definitely take a listen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mIVloCvBU
Actually, most of the G3 jams are amazing.

Quote by Philbigtime
Oh yeah, and if Jimi Hendrix is a "good" guitar player, who do you consider to be a "great" guitar player?

Most of the names I would tell you are the 'typical' people you'd define as 'shredders'. I suppose the two that stand out for me are Buckethead and Gary Moore.

I'm far from denying that Jimi was an influencial player.
He pretty much singlehandedly changed the face of rock (and he wrote some excellent songs), but as a guitarist he just doesn't touch the more modern bunch. But that's mainly due to the whole thing with him dying it's a bit unfair to make serious comparisons.
Funny I listened to both jams and based only on what I've heard of these guys playing a Jimi Hendrix song it is my opinion Jimi is better than all three of them put together. But that's not a fair comparison.

As for Hendrix Jams "If 6 was 9" was a recorded jam and the vocal tracks were added later. I think it is one of Jimi's best jams, though not necessarily his best song.
Si
Quote by Retro Rocker

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mIVloCvBU
Actually, most of the G3 jams are amazing.

OK, that was pretty cool, I'll give you that. I think Satch stands head and shoulders above the other two guys there in terms of taste and creativity. Obviously, Satch and 1000 other players living today could play circles around Jimi.

But Jimi just has this SOUND, man, this funk to his music. Dirt. I don't know what you call it. But somehow, I just feel things when I listen to him play that I don't hear with most music that I listen to.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.
^ yeah, personal taste is a bitch. Some people neally need to work on technique because the music they want to play is very technical. In which case, speed really matters. Why did you think this had anything to do with advanced techniques though?