I have recently tried to learn the iron man solo, which i was learning for about 5 hours and couldn't get anything sounding remotely like it (leanred from tab). Was hoping somone could suggest me a solo from a song that would be good for first timers to learn
My first solo ever was Lake of Fire by the Meat Puppets. I learned the solo from the live version they did with Nirvana on the unplugged in New York album. Its a nice leisurly walk through the minor pentatonic. Not too fast, not too slow, just nice.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Stairway? Fade to Black intro? One intro? Smells Like Teen Spirit?
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
smells like teen spirit solo is pretty simple as is roulette by SOAD

Next purchase: Peavey Vypyr 30 Combo Amp
try smells like teen spirit first. it'll get you started in the right direction.

its not very many notes so concentrate on making each and every one sound awesome. so many people skip that step..
I'm a beginner too (almost 6months in) and know a grand total of 2 solos so I'm close to this topic.

The 2 I've learned are the aforementioned Teen Spirit solo and the solo from 'Sweet Dreams' the Marilyn Manson version. Teen Spirit is the easier of the 2 but both are very simple.

Justin Guitar (www.justinguitar.com) has a real good video series on learning Stairway to Heaven including 2 videos devoted to the solo. I'm not good enough yet to do but if you dedicate yourself you might find it easier then I did.
give the solo to Led Zep's - Living loving maid a try, it's fairly easy.

Gibson SG Classic
Laguna LE 422
Dean Razorback
Washburn LK60PS
Fender Bass
Ibanez Acoustoc/Electric
Marshall MG 15HFX Microstack
Line 6 Spider III Amp

Remeber...... Every where you go, there you are!
I've been playing for roughly a year so Im still quite new to guitar. I suggest teh Smells like teen spirit solo, Blood to bleed by Rise Against is pretty easy too. You could also try the solo in Where is my mind by Pixies, it's short and fairly easy.

Songs:

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit
Rise Against - Blood to bleed
(The?) Pixies - Where is my mind
Alot of Nirvana songs have pretty easy solos, maybe you can try those.Also try Tangerine by Led Zeppelin,Streets of Love by The Rolling Stones,A few Red Hot Chili Pepper Songs and the first solo of Knocking on Heaven's Door by Guns n Roses.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]