Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking alot about this lately and I was just wondering if i was alone.
Before I started playing guitar I liked alot of rap, hardcore metal songs, And I absolutely hated acoustic songs.
But about a month after I started to seriously get into playing this all changed. I started listening to Led Zeppelin and alot of classic rock. Acoustic just sounded amazing to me. I started to admire guitar solos, and all the skill it took to play them. It didnt sound like a bunch of noise anymore, it was alot like art and all the creativity involved amazed me.
How did your views on music change after you seriously got into guitar?
happened to me in a different way, used to basically just like punk, but now i mainly listen to stuff with good/hard guitar parts in it, and metal.

My view on rap didnt change though, it will always be shit
Not until I'd been playing about a year and a half. I found the songs I was playing (Blink-182, almost exclusively) way too easy, so I watched Paul Gilbert play. My life changed that day, and I'll never be satisfied with my playing again.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by muhat gandy
happened to me in a different way, used to basically just like punk, but now i mainly listen to stuff with good/hard guitar parts in it, and metal.

Actually, there is some great rap out there, it's just buried underneath the 99.8% that is absolute crap.
Yeah, playing an instrument made me appreciate a wider range of music. I used to not like country but now I love it. Learning more about music in general, music appreciation, musicianship, theory, composition exposed me to multitudes of genres. Jazz, world, gamelan, indian tabla music for examples.
I love how my music changed from chart pop, to blink 183 and green day, then to cradle of filth and dimmu borgir, then to stuff like Drop Dead Gorgeous and Devil Wears Prada, and while i listen to that kinda stuff, i like the medic droid and breathe carolina now.

weird.
Quote by Philbigtime
Actually, there is some great rap out there, it's just buried underneath the 99.8% that is absolute crap.

please do tell me this 'good rap'
im not willing to sift through all of that shit to find it
Yes and No,
i still listen to everything i use to including rap and everything but it showed me new forms of music to enjoy. After i started to play guitar i really got in to Metal and some Blues after that.
Then took some college classes on classical music and im still listening to alternative 90's stuff that i grew up listening too. And good rap music. Not MTV rap music.
I remember when my guitar teacher suggested that I learnt the very start of 'Nothing Else Matters'. He played it on his computer and I was like, "ZOMGORZ!" A friend leant be the album so I could get the song on my computer. That was when I fell in love with Metallica. Soon after I discovered their older stuff. It was basically my introduction to metal.

Before that I only really liked hair metal and that sort of stuff. Now I like Zep, a fair amount of metal and classic rock.
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
yes definately. I started to appreciate a much broader range of music. Rap still sucks. I will give it just the tiniest pinch of cred because the original, old rap is tolerable and a few songs I actually like. Modern rap sucks donkey genitalia.
Yes. Time ago I liked bands like Sum41, Avril Lavigne, H.I.M. and Offspring, but when I started playing I changed my musical tastes. Now I'm a metalhead and I like power metal/melodic metal: my favourite bands are Edguy, Avantasia, Sentenced, Hammerfall and Sonata Arctica.
crzywhiteboy
na i just cant stomach it, it sounds just the same as all other rap,
they should atleast try and vary it from time to time
Quote by muhat gandy

Paper boy- the ditty
Hmm.. Yes. ;o I used to only listen to metal and such, I was like "IT HAS TO BE FAST TO BE GOOD, MAWUWHAWHAWUA!!" .. How could I be so wrong? Today, some of my favorite songs are pretty slow. =P .. Yeah, it changed my musical tastes and my view of music overall.

/7/rR
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Learning guitar has narrowed down what I listen to on a daily basis, but hasnt really "changed" what I listen to. Before my playlist was all over the place. Hip-hop, post rock, classic rock, etc.. Now its almost strictly classic/psychedelic rock, folk and small amounts of post rock. Hendrix, Neil Young, Page, etc.. all have much different meaning and influence on me now then they did before I started playing.
Quote by Philbigtime

So true.

Anyway, I don't know how much learning guitar has changed my musical tastes, but playing bass has changed them greatly. For example, if I never took interest in bass, jazz and funk probably would be near the bottom of my list.
Yes and no... I've started listening to some new music... But my musical tastes that I started with are still my favourite bands... If anything, it has inspired me to love these bands more!
Quote by muhat gandy

Atmosphere.
well when i first got a guitar i was 14 and i wanted it because i listened to sum 41 and blink 182 and stuff then i gave up because i thought i couldnt play it, then when guitar hero 3 came out i started playing again and started to get the hang of it and i was telling my mate about how i liked one by metallica so he showed me nothing else matters and where ever i may roam and that got me in to metallica ive always liked guns and roses and stuff. and now since i got in to the guitar properly a see myself listening to blues and old rock and things like that music i used to call 'old people music' haha and ive started actually listening to the guitaring in the songs instead of just the singing
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by muhat gandy

Just off the top of my head, The Roots, Tribe Called Quest, UGK, Devin the Dude.
god only knows what my interests were before this... but now i love the floyd, beatles, nirvana, aerosmith, etc. i also like old metal and like some current acts... like slipknot is okay (please no disturbed or any of that). but i really only listen to that stuff when im not listening to zeppelin... god i love them
they got me into guitar, and now i love to buy random exotic instruments and build my own out of stuff i find. im aiming for a digeridoo at the moment(forgive me if mispelled). i think theres one at a local music store.
playing guitar definitely did change my musical taste. When i started i almost had no musical tastes and now i listen to the shittiest shred and metal shit there is available.
Yeah, its definately broadened my tastes, and in general I get a lot more enjoyment from listening too.
First I was listening to the crap MTV rap. Then 4 years ago I heard Far Beyond the Sun. Now I listen to Jason Becker and Tony MacAlpine everyday.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
well, my taste changed from metallica and yngwie to anything technical

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost

There's some fantastic music in the rap world if you're willing to look. Even some of the mainstream stuff is really quite good, such as Jay-Z's Lost One and Tupac's Changes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i started to hate bands that werent good on the instruments then after a while i was like whatever and just listened to stuff that sounded good so it did for a while, it made me stop listening to rap and techno aswell ive started listening to hip hop again but ill never listen to techno again it just sounds stupid to me now
I think being a musician helps one respect technicality more, regardless of whether or not you like the music. For example, Metallica are my favourite of the Big Four, but Megadeth and Anthrax wipe their arses with them technicality-wise, tbqfh.

And I also think it takes a musician to really appreciate Meshuggah for what they are: genius-bordering musicians. I think a lot of people can't get past the polyrhythms, so they just disregard Meshuggah as shit, ignoring the fact that they are now, in fact, the most important band in metal.

Besides all that, I don't really think taking up an instrument has changed my tastes at all, it has just made me respect all forms of music for what they are, and it still takes talent (even if it's a miniscule amount, in the cases of powerpop bands and the like) to write music.
i was never that much into metal until I got my Jackson, Line6 and EMGs, I always loved the guitar sound and saw a few bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden when I was growing up, but was more into Gilmore, Howe progressive stuff - but now I love playing metal and shred as well, it is really fun and works great with non-pentatonic scales. I'm not really into listening to blues too much but still love playing it.
Metal got me into playing guitar, playing guitar got me into Jazz/Blues, so yep my musical tastes now span everything related to guitar playing apart from the generic rock band shite that's everywhere I look nowadays.
^ Pretty much the same for me. When I first started playing guitar, I was kinda closed minded as far as what I listened to. The more I learned, the more I started appreciating different kinds of music. I still have certain musical taste, but I am way more open to music now.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There's some fantastic music in the rap world if you're willing to look. Even some of the mainstream stuff is really quite good, such as Jay-Z's Lost One and Tupac's Changes.

+100. I absolutely love Lost One. I kind of figured it out for guitar, and my sister was like "that sounds familiar", I said it's Lost One and she's like "but it's a piano, I didn't know you could do that" lol.. anyway there is definitely good rap out there, I actually like some of Kanye West's stuff.. I used to have Swollen Member's Bad Dreams album which has probably my fav rap/hip hop songs but I lost it Listen to Deep End from that album.

But about guitar affecting my tastes, I started because I wanted to play Sum 41 songs for this girl I liked. I always liked CCR and country, but at the time I listened to Avril Lavigne and stuff too. So I never really learned any Sum 41 because learning CCR made me branch out into Led Zeppelin, ACDC etc etc. I got to the point where most guitarists seem to think in elitist terms, like 'so and so sucks because it's mainstream and doesn't have a guitar solo or whatever'. Now my tastes are so diversified that I've gone back to appreciating all music and I don't categorize like that. I still don't like Lil Wayne's style of rap though.. I've got lots of ice and hoes yadayada.

I think if you're into guitar because you simply enjoy music, there's no reason to be stereotypically condescending towards certain genres or artists, so I'm pretty open. People who are into guitar to say they can play guitar though, I could see them adopting that attitude more easily.
I guess, i played the guitar throughout my highschool years though. That time period i would have probably started getting into music more heavily anyways
My musical taste was broadening drastically before I picked up guitar (in fact that's why I picked up guitar) and has continued to get broader (I'm not saying changed because I still like all the music I liked before).

So I'll say 'no'.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
no, i listened to just about anything before i played guitar, same now
im just very varied with my musical tastes
but i could definitely see how it could for most people
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls