I'm trying to make myself the best rhythm guitarist i can, and i just wanted to know what core things i should focus on, and any general tips.
thanks
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Play as tight as you possibly can with the rest of the band, practice your triplets and palm mutes, alternative picking and down picking.

I'm a rhythm guitarist too and I always practice these things.
Play some rhythm to Between the buried and Me too, they have really complex rhythms and it's great practice.

that's if you're a metal player mind you. I also practice scales.

for down picking I personally play Master of Puppets at a slower tempo to a metronome (some of the riffs, about 2 mins worth)
then i just gradually speed it up until it's 15 or 20 bpm faster than the recorded song.

What genre do you play?
alot more punk/alternative than metal, but learning different techniques couldn't hurt eh?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Try the Birthday Massacre stuff, Their rhythm guitarist use six note chords, they're pretty interesting, you could try something like that, He tunes it like form low to high EADEAD, i think.
Quote by mcraddict81592
alot more punk/alternative than metal, but learning different techniques couldn't hurt eh?

of course not.
I practice Jazz and Blues as well as Classical (spanish) and it helps my playing loads so have an open mind and practice whatever you can as much as you can.
diads can be really interesting
Thats minor, then major
G---5--4
D---7--5
use power chords, palm mute, pedal tones, lots of chords. John Frusciante uses a lot of chords like

B---9---5---5---5
G---9---6---6---4
D---9---7---7---6
A---7---5---7---7

and those can be really cool. all that stuff is movable around the fretboard too
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Biggest tip for rhythm I can tell you is to not do anything annoying. Too many rhythm guitarists overdo it by playing too much and too loud, it wears people out and if you're playing with a lead player, it leaves him no room to do anything cool. Just because something is fun to play the shit out of doesn't mean it sounds good.

Experiment with different voicings and arpeggios. Light barks with alot of mutes or other variations usually sound much better than non-stop chords that are just a big wall of sound. Mutes and other dynamics is very important. Otherwise it gets muddied up real easy. The lead guitarist I played with this summer called it "the clusterf*ck of sound" when people did that.
Last edited by corndogggy at Oct 16, 2008,
Look at Malcolm Young. Keep it cool. Don't complicate things. That'll only make things worse. That's why you have a lead guitarists.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Id learn basic bar chords, and if your interested in hipper stuff go for drop 2 7th chords (dominant, major, minor etc). Think like a pianist, try to do cool voiceleading stuff but dont make it too busy. Keep beast time.
Be able to play in time and learn about chords like there's no tomorrow.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com