Just wondering. I haven't heard one good thing about them from anyone I know, but I'm not sure any of those people have ever played one. I'm looking for a decent low-budget bass. My brother and friends have been pressuring me to get an Epiphone of some kind instead, but I like the few Squiers i have played. Any insight?
Steer clear of the Epihones mate their not really revered to be the greatest basses in these here parts. I have never had any problems with Squiers if you can't afford a Fender MIM then go for the Squier.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
from what i've seen the low end squier basses are better than the low end epiphone ones
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
they're not fantastic.. but i had an older one that actually served me pretty well for a number of years. if the price is right, there's no sense in not picking one up if you need it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by LastAuramancer
from what i've seen the low end squier basses are better than epiphone basses

fixed

on topic: ive tryed a few squiers and they seem quite good for he price
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Squires are good ibegan on a standard p bass special and loved it. They can be quite hit or miss. But ya ther good and mostly always worth the money. look into the vintage modified series. And they are defiantly better than epiphone.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Dont let someone pressure you into buying something you wont be happy with.
Get a squier.
VM Jazz and P's are highly respected around here.
I played a Vintage Modified P Bass at a local music store and REALLY liked it, so I was thinking of getting that. Probably will now. Thanks loads for the advice.
Quote by jeburke
I played a Vintage Modified P Bass at a local music store and REALLY liked it, so I was thinking of getting that. Probably will now. Thanks loads for the advice.

There you go then, get it just because one person say they like this bass so get it, get what you enjoy playing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If you like a squier, get it. That simple.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
The VM (vintage modified) series is good and I can vouch for that because I own the squier vm jazz bass. The other squiers are not really up to par. The VM series is lightyears ahead of the other squiers imo.
get and ibanez gsr200, its the best begginer
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
The Classic Vibe and Deluxe basses are also amazing.

A guy on Talkbass posted two sound clips: one of a Squier Jazz being played, and another of some real expensive, high-end Jazz copy (can't remember if it was Lakland or Sadowsky). Same riff, same rig, same player. They sounded very, very similar.
VM's and CV's rival fender standards
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
your brother and friends must smoke epic amounts of crack, because squire has excellent bass's! great value, they play well, the squire 70's tribute jazz bass plays as good as any fender jazz bass i have ever played. Epiphone's are just not that good basses, although the Thunderbird is worth a look. but try some squire's, some will play like crap, but others will amaze you.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
get the VM. great stuff. CV is also very nice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Gibson doesn't know how to make basses. Using inferior materials and construction doesn't help Epiphone improve them.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I cannot stress this enough. Epiphone basses are terrible. I WANTED to like the Epiphone deluxe SG bass, it has a set neck, trapexoid inlays, and looks sick. And it sounds and plays like shit. The only epiphone I ever liked was the Tbird, and I think I am discovering that most of that was due to the asesthetics of the instrument.

The squier VM line, and the deluxe lines, are fantastic. The best telecaster I ever played was a Squire thinline tele.

I jsut got back from playing a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, and I was blown away. For $279.99, I felt like I was stealing. I have no idea how little they pay those indonesians, but man, they make great instruments.

I can't speak about the Vintage modified Precision, but the reviews of it on Musiciansfriend sound like its as good comparably as the jazz. I have NEVER played a bass priced at $500 or less that matches the Squier VM jazz. I owned a Fender standard jazz, and the squier kicks the shit out of it. Seriously.

The fender was so bland, that it made my think I didnt want to play bass. Then I played the Squier, and I realized that the Fender was just an inferior instrument. And it costs twice as much.
Quote by LastAuramancer
from what i've seen the low end squier basses are better than the high end gibson basses

fixed
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I own an Epi starter. It has taken serious modding to make this an acceptable bass. The only thing original when I end this journey will be the neck and the body. Epi have horrible QA on their basses and they come right out the factory with serious high action.

Squier basses are not Squier guitars. They have some really nice options in the VM line. They are as nice if not better than some of the Fender MIMs I've played.
my friends squire bass has fret buzz and the action is very high

My friends american p-bass has fret buzz and the action is very high. He takes poor care of it. My VM jazz blows it out of the water.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
The original Japanese Squiers were excellent Instruments built to a very high standard and are now quite collectable; don't know about the newer stuff.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by sonsie
fixed

u beat me

and wen i tryed a CV jazz i didnt like the neck cause of the finish on it, its made it hard to move around the neck.

and TS u might wanna look at some ibanez basses, the SRX i tryed had a really nice neck and was easy to play
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
ok, thanks everyone for the advice. I've run into one complication:

I have a friend who's been playing bass for maybe twice as long as i have (so about 3-3 1/2 years) and he's selling an epiphone thunderbird for $100. I think I'll have to try it out (because I never have tried one) and see. He says what everyone says: the neck is badly balanced, but according to him its not too much of a problem. On the other hand, maybe I'll just go with the Squier. Who knows?
A badly balanced neck is detrimental to your playing- you'll be fighting to hold it up. Naturally he'll say it isn't a problem- he wants to sell it, after all. But try it, see how you like it- we can only advise, not make your decision. Just make sure that your decision is an informed one backed up by the playing of the thunderbird, a few squiers, and maybe some other basses.
the EPi Tbird is definitely worth $100. no argument there, that's a fact, its worth that.

If I had to play standing with the bass, I would lose my mind, but it feels fine sitting. I primarily play sitting.
thats one reason i might not get one. i have a tiny bedroom (which is where i practice) and usually my chairs are cluttered with stuff, so i play standing. I guess I'll have to see...
Look for a squier vintage modified jazz bass.
There just as good as some fenders and only like £200

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

Here's the deal with a neck-diving bass like the T-bird: If you like your bass low, then you have to hold the neck up with your fretting hand, and though you may not notice it this slows you down a lot. If you wear your bass fairly high, though, you can use the forearm of your picking hand to hold the instrument in place and take the weight off of your fretting hand. This is still a bit uncomfortable, but not as much so.

As you seem like a beginner to bass, I'll add this: The TBird is good at getting a classic rock sound...nice and thumpy, not really sharp at all. If you like that, you'll like the T-bird..personally I like the tones you can get from it. But if you want a more precise sound, like for modern rock or metal, I'd look elsewhere. It can be done, but it's not easy.
Nope, no sig here.