Yup, lookin into another geetar, and this time I think I wanna try a hollowbody. I've seen a few folk really shred on a hollowbody before, but I of course have no idea what the hell guitar they were actually playing, so I come for the infinite wisdom of UG for advice. Help?
hollowbodies(es-175,alleykat) dont handle distortion well, at all
semi-hollowbodies(es-335, dot sheraton) arent great for metal either, but better than the hollow bodies
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I think Gilbert did a song on an ES-335 or similar recently, but keep in mind you'll probably have to dial the gain back. Now... you forgot a few things.
YOUR BUDGET.
YOUR EQUIPMENT.
PLEASE, TELL THEM TO US.
*sigh*
BC Rich make one, it's an awful pointy thing with dagger-shaped F-holes. Probably closest to a metal hollowbody you're gonna get, or you could try a Thinline Tele or something like that.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Hollow bodies aren't often used for metal. I'm not saying you can't do it. The reason for this is that a hollow bodies resonate more. When your playing with heavy distortion and playing really fast, the efect of the extra resonance is negligible, it's kind of a waste, but not really. If you wanna use a hollow body for metal I'd go with a epi Flame Cat or a Gibson Zephyr. An Ibanez artcore would work too.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Tombe
BC Rich make one, it's an awful pointy thing with dagger-shaped F-holes. Probably closest to a metal hollowbody you're gonna get, or you could try a Thinline Tele or something like that.

thats right BC rich dagger, dean makes one too, but i think its a 12 string
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Tombe

I really love mine. Went through 7 diff models at guitar center to find this one. Something about it made me want it even the stock pick ups sounded better than the other ones. With that in mind if you do check it out realllllllly play lots of them.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
i honestly don't think you want a hollowbody for metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It would depend on what kind of metal you want to play.

If you're playing relatively clean shred, you might be all right with a semi hollow of even a full hollow.

If you're going to play extra-heavy-chug-chug-br00t4l-m3t4lz0rz you probably won't be able to get away with a full hollow and even a semi hollow might not be a good idea.

If you don't have a huge budget, I recommend a Hagstrom, Ibanez or maybe even a Peavey.
try the ibanez artcores

some of the are like halfsize (their not massive jazzboxes i mean)

taker the awd83 for example. strat shape, 2 humbuckers, optional trem, 2 f holes
Are you playing anything heavier than rage?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Look at hellyeah (only band to come to mind) they use semi hollows also that Wes Borland sig. Heard some clips does the job pretty good.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
a thinline tele might be a choice for you. maybe an artcore.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
If you want to play metal, and you've got the money to buy a new guitar, then why in heaven's name are you looking for a hollowbody?!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Metal covers a lot of ground, so....

Didn't Izzy play a Gibson ES 175 on the first GNR record?

Like the last guy said, if you're using mass quantities of gain, perhaps a hollowbody isn't the best choice. For straight rock, they work quite well. The Cult "Electric" comes to mind here...
91 SG Jr.
99 Fender Strat

new Fender Super Champ XD!
hmm, well idk if this well help you at all but i think
this is a grestch hot rod hes playin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMe4_hMOhos
sounds pretty bad ass to me, not really metal, but kinda heavy sounding
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
hellyeah blows...
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
a pro teacher i know uses holly body he has some custom carvin. Its got some clever technology so it doesnt feedback like a bitch but still sounds amazing
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
ive heard of people who put Styrofoam pieces in the sound holes to reduce unwanted feedback, can give that a shot
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Wakisazhi

If there is a hollowbody that can do metal well then this is it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Dave Grohl's main guitar is a Gibson ES-335, I think it handles their sound well.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Quote by maiden_mexico
hellyeah blows...

Just like your mom to me last night
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
Iono, Queens of the Stone age almost exclusively use hollowbodies.
Quote by im_hungry, imthehitcher, DeathTouch666, BobMarleysGhost, catchy phrase, flyman, cheeseman3001, Cpt.Jackass, evening_crow, just17n8, Ziggums, MoleMania, Baa I'm a Sheep, x_themetalfan_x, hippy12:

Give him a handjob

Had to consolidate the sig.
Ibanez Artcores dont have as much hollow space as other hollowbodies do, so they take higher gain slightly better. Go with them!
the only downside is feedback, but this can be handled based on where you are in relation to your amp, also tshirts in the guitar help dampen the feedback. You may also need higher output pups, and pup swaps are a pain in the arse in hollowbody guitars
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I have used a ES-335 through a JCM 800 and played some metal and it wasn't too bad. Don't know if it would be my first choice though.
Rather than just tell us "metal," which is a hideously vague term 'round these parts, do specify, please. What bands exemplify the styles you're after? That would be very helpful, man.

But even then... I can't think of any kind of metal where a hollowbody would be appropriate. It's like saying, "I'm really into stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Elton John... but I need an amp. I was really considering a Kerry King Signature Marshall. Thoughts?"
Ben from Breaking Benjamin uses a sweet PRS semi-hollow on occasion. If your going for crunchy low-gain metal then something like that should handle it, but you wont get any high gain stuff happening.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
hollowbody guitars don't sustain or handle distortion as well as solid body guitars.
So you would start out with two handicaps. These are going to be two of the most
important factors of your metal. Your tone also won't have as much weight behind it.

I think it would be cool..but I don't see it going very well. I think you could do some
nice slide blues on one though.

I can imagine a new Boost Mobile commercial ....
(Death metal band is playing with gibson hollow bodies...tone is barely dirty)
(they stop in mid song..and the singer says...)

*I know what your thinkin...You thinkin ......."Thats just wrong"*
"No..its not wrong..." "But I'll tell you what IS wrong......"
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 4, 2009,
Paul Gilbert uses an Ibanez Artcore for most if not all the songs on the United States album, which has shred and distortion.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x