It was used when everybody played with their thumb. It is for resting your fingers on while you play with your thumb.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by derekwalden_-33
Whats the deal with them, I mean, do they serve a purpose down there? I thought a thumb rest was supposed to be to rest your thumb on while playing, no?
Well, back in the day bassists played with thier thumb and they rested their other(right hand) fingers on the "thumb" rest. Nowadays Fender still has them on the MIA 62 reissue P bass and the 62' jazz bass to make them look more vintage. Not many people nowadays actually use the thumb rest because it's more practical to use the index and middle fingers to strike the strings.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
That's a tug bar, not a thumb rest. A thumb rest goes up top for your thumb so you can play with your fingers. The tug bar goes below so you can anchor your fingers and play with your thumb (like Sting).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by derekwalden_-33
So, its not really a thumb rest, more of a finger rest?

It seems practical to place one above the strings to rest your THUMB on, no?

People PLAYED with their thumb. They used the tug bar to grip on with their fingers while they plucked with the thumb.
Quote by derekwalden_-33
So, its not really a thumb rest, more of a finger rest?

It seems practical to place one above the strings to rest your THUMB on, no?

Well, that exists too, and is WAY more popular nowadays. I installed one on my bass a few years ago. Back when the tug bar was popular, that was also the most popular way to play bass.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
They became thumb rests on Fender with the advent of finger style Bass picking; that was when they were moved above the E string.
My 65 Jazz Bass had the rest below the G string, in the early to mid 60s most bassists used a plectrum/pick.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn