Recently I've been working on fretting triads on one string. From the 12th fret, I'm okay with diminished, minor and major triads, but I'm having some trouble with augmented triads. I started experiencing pain in the first joint of my index finger (the joint closest to the fingertip) after only a minute or so of playing with augmented fingerings.

As far as the fingerings go, I'm trying to avoid stretches of major thirds between any two adjacent fingers. So for minor triads I'm using a 124 fingering to avoid having a stretch of a major third between my 3rd and 4th fingers, and for major triads I'm using a 134 fingering to avoid a major third between fingers 1 and 2.

That being said, the augmented triad is a problem for me as there are 2 major thirds to deal with. I'm trying both 124 and 134 fingerings, and both are pretty difficult. I can barely reach with the 134 fingering (I can't really make the major third between the 3 and 4th fingers), and while I can manage with 124, it hurts my fingers, especially when I pick up my index finger and move it to a different string. I've seen videos of Shawn Lane doing this stretch with a 124 fingering, so apparently it IS possible.

So my questions are:

1. Should I be using different fingerings then I am now? Why?
2. What can I do to decrease pain in my fingers/wrist while practicing these stretches?
3. Are these stretches going to get easier as I practice? I know my fingers have stretched (gotten longer) since I've been playing guitar. To what extent will my fingers continue to stretch?

Sorry for all the text, and thanks in advance.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
1. Your fingerings are correct, I'd certainly use 124 for augmented.

2. This kind of stuff is EXTREMELY intense to practice and is actually how I personally ****ed up my wrist really badly. Had to stop playing for a few months. Now that I've scared you - I would practice stretches in gentler ways at least at first - chords are brilliant because they also teach you that you need to be loose to stretch and the correct amount of pressure to use. The nice thing as well is that you can choose how intense you want to make the stretch by simply using different areas of the neck - ie, 12th fret, easy, 6th fret hard, 1st fret very hard.
Posture is half of stretch licks and comfort. If you watch shawn solos or his instructionals, you can see him actually move the guitar into a whole new position almost all the time he starts the those nuts licks - as he explains on power licks, you have to get your thumb way behind the neck. Way behind the neck. If you haven't watched my posture vid I'd recommend you do now.
The other half is WARMING UP. You need to be fully warmed up before trying these monstrous bastard licks.

3. Yeah, they'll get easier. I can't put an estimate down, but my reach has pretty much since I started, the vast majority of that coming from careful use of posture.

Shawn, btw, could manage diminished stretches from the 3rd fret. Wow.
Quote by Freepower
1. Your fingerings are correct, I'd certainly use 124 for augmented.

2. This kind of stuff is EXTREMELY intense to practice and is actually how I personally ****ed up my wrist really badly. Had to stop playing for a few months. Now that I've scared you - I would practice stretches in gentler ways at least at first - chords are brilliant because they also teach you that you need to be loose to stretch and the correct amount of pressure to use. The nice thing as well is that you can choose how intense you want to make the stretch by simply using different areas of the neck - ie, 12th fret, easy, 6th fret hard, 1st fret very hard.
Posture is half of stretch licks and comfort. If you watch shawn solos or his instructionals, you can see him actually move the guitar into a whole new position almost all the time he starts the those nuts licks - as he explains on power licks, you have to get your thumb way behind the neck. Way behind the neck. If you haven't watched my posture vid I'd recommend you do now.
The other half is WARMING UP. You need to be fully warmed up before trying these monstrous bastard licks.

3. Yeah, they'll get easier. I can't put an estimate down, but my reach has pretty much since I started, the vast majority of that coming from careful use of posture.

Shawn, btw, could manage diminished stretches from the 3rd fret. Wow.

I can if I don't have to switch strings If I switch strings my pointer has a tendency to shift up to the 4th fret. For me, 6th fret is where it starts to get comfortable.
^ I can juggle?

But seriously, thanks for the info FP. I have seen your posture vid. And what's great about this stuff is that I can't even play it unless my posture is good. I've been sorta tilting the guitar up too, like you mentioned Mr. Lane doing. I just hope I dont f*ck my wrist up, because when I was practicing 10 minutes ago I felt a real sharp pain in my wrist trying to do an augmented on the low E
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
^ thanks. I can't juggle, btw.

And I wasn't joking, I wouldn't really recommend this as a way of practicing your stretching. Play this stuff once you have those kinds of span in your comfort zone. I never really use more than a 6 fret stretch atm because it's the largest in my genuine comfort zone.

Perhaps go through chord stretches for a week and see how you feel about the same stretches mentioned here (and although it is vastly overrated in some ways, Rock Discipline has exemplary ways of improving your reach).
^ I can't actually juggle

I suppose I should stop entirely before I hurt myself, then. I'll go look for my legally acquired ( ) copy of Rock Discipline. I've seen the stretching exercises you're referring to, but they always scared me so I never bothered with them
I always feel warm and fuzzy inside when I see non-steroid-enhanced JP though.

Thanks again dude, appreciate it
Quote by TGautier13
When I play economy picked pentatonics nearly everything played covers a long
distance. I also frequently need to cover a major third distance between 2
adjacent fingers.

My first attempt at learning to do that was trying to stretch my fingers to cover the
distance. I think that's naturally what you try to do first. What, I eventually decided
was that only induced a lot of hand tension and was going to make it nearly impossible
to play accurately at speed.

What I now do is just extend my fingers a COMFORTABLE distance without really
stretching them. Long distances can be covered VERY quickly with just a quick
tilt of the wrist. My hand stays comfortable and relaxed and, most importantly, it's
MUCH easier be accurate at higher speeds.
^ I'm not clear on what you mean by tilting your wrist. You're suggesting I use more wrist and less finger-torture to cover distance? (I don't have a guitar with me, I'm having trouble visualizing)

PS: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595483
That's some great shit.
Quote by TGautier13
Quote by TheShred201
I can if I don't have to switch strings If I switch strings my pointer has a tendency to shift up to the 4th fret. For me, 6th fret is where it starts to get comfortable.

i can do it in the 1st fret in the high E string :s
low E 2nd fret.

of course, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. a fret above that is ok.

my stretch in the middle finger / ring finger is ridiculous though. my legato gets all weird when i stretch like that.

blessed / cursed
Quote by ramm_ty
^ I'm not clear on what you mean by tilting your wrist. You're suggesting I use more wrist and less finger-torture to cover distance? (I don't have a guitar with me, I'm having trouble visualizing)

Extend your pinky and index finger a bit but let them drape down a little. If you fret a low
note with your index, you can quickly hit a higher note with your pinky by just slight
wrist rotation. Of course, it takes some work to be accurate, but you can apply the same
thing to all your fingers.

This is very quick (especially when combined with tiny arm movements) at covering large
distances with a relaxed hand and, in my experience, a relaxed hand directly translates
into better accuracy.
I can juggle

Anyway, I have a quick question for anyone that I didn't want to make a whole thread for, and I'm sure one of you can cover it. In fact, it may have already been covered, but I know practically zero about theory :/

Say I'm trying to play a 3-note-per-string shape in which each note is a full step apart (For instance, 10-12-14), and I want to play it really fast. What fingering should I use? Currently I'm using 1-2-4, but I'm kind of clumsy and awkward. However, I'm not entirely convinced that it's not just me who's clumsy and awkward, and the fingering has nothing to do with it.

Would there be any advantage to playing it 1-3-4, or do I just need more practice?

I have really small hands, by the way. Really small.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Personally, I use 1-3-4 for that sort of stuff, but it seems people are split about 50-50 between 1-2-4 and 1-3-4 for that.
So there's no real advantage one way or the other, it's just personal preference? I guess I'd better keep practicing...
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Personally I find it good to be able to do both. When I'm doing the diminished string skipped legato stuff in Outworld's self titled track, I use 1-2-4 for the first 3 positions and 1-3-4 for the last one, as that's how I find it the most comfortable and accurate.