i know your all going to say this thread already exists but it doesnt, so please read on.
im about to buy a new amp and have tested both the cube and vox, but not the xl. i loved both but havnt tried them at the same time. the options on the vox are great but i have a few questions.

all the other comparisons are between the vox and the 30 watt cube, which i no way can afford, so dont say it. i can only afford 20 watts.

all the comparisons say its the rectifier mode thats great for metal on the cube, but the 20x doesnt have that. so what does have the better metal tones.
i play a variety of styles and what i want is a good old school thrash tone as well as being able to get a really brutal, high gain, in your face metal tone. but i also need good cleans.

so out of the vt, vtxl and cube which do you recmmend? the video demos make the xl sound best but thats not the best way to go i know.

this is only a bedroom amp, no gigging.
I've tried these amps out myself but a few years ago now so I may be a little out of date.

Vox AD15VT
This is certainly a very good amp and offers real valve-like tone that no other modelling amp can match. There was a real warmth to the tone that I liked but there were some things I wasn't so keen on. Compared to the Roland, the build quality just didn't seem to be as good and if I tried to really push the gain levels I simply didn't find it as convincing. For Classic Rock it's ideal but for more modern Metal it's not quite there. The effects were decent but nothing like as good as the Cube.

Vox AD15XL
Very simlar to the standard amp except they've tried to address the gain problem. In many ways this is an improvement but in comparison to the Cube it was a bit muddy, which I don't like.

Roland Cube 20X
In fairness it wasn't the 20w version I tried but I still think my experience may help. These amps are built like tanks and everything about them felt a lot sturdier than the Vox amps. On top of that, the effects were excellent and higher gain amp models were far more convincing. At lower gain levels the Cube sounded a bit more digital compared to the warmth of the Vox tone so it really depends what you're after. If you play mostly Classic Rock, get the Vox. If you play mostly high gain material, get the Cube. Despite the absence of the R-Fier model on the 20w version, I still you'll find it more than adequate.

Now to the issue of price. While I accept that you say you can't afford the 30w I think you should reconsider. Here in the UK (I don't know where you're from) the Vox AD15VT is £99 while the Cube 20X is £89 but the 30w is only £118. I would suggest that if you can afford the £99 needed for the Vox, you can surely find another £19 from somewhere to get the Cube 30 as it does appear to be worth the extra.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I've tried these amps out myself but a few years ago now so I may be a little out of date.

Vox AD15VT
This is certainly a very good amp and offers real valve-like tone that no other modelling amp can match. There was a real warmth to the tone that I liked but there were some things I wasn't so keen on. Compared to the Roland, the build quality just didn't seem to be as good and if I tried to really push the gain levels I simply didn't find it as convincing. For Classic Rock it's ideal but for more modern Metal it's not quite there. The effects were decent but nothing like as good as the Cube.

Vox AD15XL
Very simlar to the standard amp except they've tried to address the gain problem. In many ways this is an improvement but in comparison to the Cube it was a bit muddy, which I don't like.

Roland Cube 20X
In fairness it wasn't the 20w version I tried but I still think my experience may help. These amps are built like tanks and everything about them felt a lot sturdier than the Vox amps. On top of that, the effects were excellent and higher gain amp models were far more convincing. At lower gain levels the Cube sounded a bit more digital compared to the warmth of the Vox tone so it really depends what you're after. If you play mostly Classic Rock, get the Vox. If you play mostly high gain material, get the Cube. Despite the absence of the R-Fier model on the 20w version, I still you'll find it more than adequate.

Now to the issue of price. While I accept that you say you can't afford the 30w I think you should reconsider. Here in the UK (I don't know where you're from) the Vox AD15VT is £99 while the Cube 20X is £89 but the 30w is only £118. I would suggest that if you can afford the £99 needed for the Vox, you can surely find another £19 from somewhere to get the Cube 30 as it does appear to be worth the extra.

yeah, i am in the UK, i do have a little extra cash but id have to take it out of my money iv been saving to see trivium

and thanks for the advice