Today i stopped playing for about 10 minutes to check my emails. The guitar was still on, amp still on etc. Then i noticed a tingling under my arm where i was muting the strings with my bicep, I realized I was being electrically shocked. I realize this is just a grounding problem, cause I get bad hum whenever I don't have my hand on the strings or knob (So it can ground through me). But this time it was shocking me... Like I said I realize this is a ground problem, Now I just need to know how to fix it, any help? I don't want to touch my guitar until i know what (specifically) is causing the shocking...
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Were you touching any part of your computer, specifically parts that are wired directly to your computer such as outside fans? I learned my lesson quite a while back, where I would play at my computer chair with my amp next to me, and sometimes rest my foot on my computer only to get a nice shock. Definitely not good for the amp or your computer.
Well i guess i do have my foot on my tower, but could you explain how this works? Also do you know about the grounding problems causing buzzing?
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
108 views and nobody can help? Please come on guys, im worried about the buzzing,.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
I'm having the same problem. I thought it was a grounding issue, so I took off the trem cover on the back of my Squier Strat and re-soldered the grounding wire and it fixed nothing. So if you found a solution to this it would be very helpful, and if someone else out there reads this and knows a good fix then please do tell. I've checked the input jack and all of the guts of my guitar to see if I could find the problem, but it was a no-go. Please help.
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Jan 14, 2009,
Doesn't happen to me. What kind of gear and computer are you using?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I just noticed this exact thing. The grounding is fine, I wasn't touching the computer, but I was playing through my TonePort. I tried with both of my Hellraisers and both shocked me.

Also, it doesn't happen when I put my hand on it or anything like that. It's just when I'm muting the strings with my bicep.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Firstly. Get your guitar properly earthed. My old pre-CBS Strat did that and it was a bitch until I found the trouble, So if you're not into DIY, take it to a shop to be done. Meanwhile, when you finish playing, you should earth yourself to get rid of any static build-up. Touch a drinking water tap or a radiator if you have one and the problem is solved. Do this BEFORE you go near the computer or you could cause serious damage. (Oh it helps, my having made PC's for a living)