Ok is sweep picking where your right hand mutes the strings and your left hand plays, or is it where your left fingers lift off the strings as your right hand picks them?
I think it's the second one.

Steve Vai: You could just play it as a chord, but you'd look like an idiot.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
I think it's the second one.

Steve Vai: You could just play it as a chord, but you'd look like an idiot.

ahh ok, so if i start on the low e string and each note i move up until i get to the high e string it would be like

(all down stroke)
say i hit the 5th fret on the low e string, id hit it then lift off, then say i go to the 9th fret of the a string as soon as i hit it i lift my finger off and so on?

how long does this usually take to get decent at?
first, i suggest taking like a 3 string pattern, not going right for the huge 6 string sweep, you'll get no where. start off with simple major and minor patterns. like this...

E -------------5---8-----------
B ---------6-------------------
G -----5-----------------------

then as you get better, you can go for the whole pattern, which looks something like this:

E -----------------5--8-------------
B -------------6--------------------
G ---------5------------------------
D -----7----------------------------
A --8-------------------------------
E -----------------------------------

this pattern is just a F major sweep, you can change different keys and patterns and things like that, but this is the way i learned how and i think i can sweep pretty good now. it takes a while, just play it slow.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by sabres61
first, i suggest taking like a 3 string pattern, not going right for the huge 6 string sweep, you'll get no where. start off with simple major and minor patterns. like this...

E -------------5---8-----------
B ---------6-------------------
G -----5-----------------------

then as you get better, you can go for the whole pattern, which looks something like this:

E -----------------5--8-------------
B -------------6--------------------
G ---------5------------------------
D -----7----------------------------
A --8-------------------------------
E -----------------------------------

this pattern is just a F major sweep, you can change different keys and patterns and things like that, but this is the way i learned how and i think i can sweep pretty good now. it takes a while, just play it slow.

thanks bro, seems like the muting with your right hand is the easy way to sweep, and the actual lifting your fingers off the strings is the correct/harder way?