Boy, is it hard to word a question when you don't know what it is you are looking for.

Basically what I'd like is something relatively small/portable (battery powered) that plays musical tones (yeah, an instrument) that I can use simply to play music, for transcribing purposes, practicing my theory, and things like that. I could plug headphones into it and tab out stuff on the school bus!

I guess the closest things I can think of to describe it are the small MIDI keyboards with ~2 octaves. However, I don't know if I could use them because I think they're just supposed to be used as controllers for other MIDI instruments/software....the ones that look like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM25

if anyone knows the name of something like this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
A guitar with a headphone amp. You could even get one of the travel electrics that folds up and then buy a Vox headphone amp for it for super portability.
I suppose a small portable keyboard like that with some 1/4 inch headphones in it would work.
You need to make sure the keyboard can be battery powered though.
That would suit you fine.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by LaGrange
I suppose a small portable keyboard like that with some 1/4 inch headphones in it would work.
You need to make sure the keyboard can be battery powered though.
That would suit you fine.

But do they make noise? I thought they were just a way to control other devices?

(This sounds like a stupid question, but I'm not very knowledgeable in the keyboard/MIDI area)
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I think I've found a solution...remember the Game Boy Color?

Well apparently this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Camera#Play game for it has a built in music feature that you can use to write music, which you can actually print out using another accessory (a Game Boy Printer).

Now all I have to do is get one off ebay or craigslist, and find my gameboy!

Is there anyone here that has ever used this thing to make music?
Quote by Roc8995