I am auditioning for a Jazz Studies major in about a month and a half for college, and I didn't decide to do this until last night so I have to bust my ass now and learn a bunch of standards really fast. I also have to be able to improvise over their chord changes. I decided the best way to do this would be to learn a bunch of songs in the same key. So, does anyone have any fairly easy standards to suggest that are in FM/Dm? I can learn other keys to if you have good suggestions, but numerous songs in the same key would be immensely helpful.

Thanks
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Learn some really obvious standards like Oleo, Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are, Blue Bossa...most schools will know these tunes inside and out.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
...don't forget to learn the jazz blues form:

| I7 | IV7 | I7 | I7 |
| IV7 | IV7 | I7 | I7 |
| ii-7 | V7 | I7 vi-7 | ii-7 V7 |
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
Try playing some modal vamp songs like So What or Impressions where you are soloing over a m7 chord for lots of extended bars with only one chord change. Also what school are you applying to and what are the requirements? Most schools from what I've seen want two or three standards of contrasting styles, so like a ballad, an up tempo song or medium swing, and a blues or rhythm changes song. You should really pick ones you like to play, and listen to multiple recordings and maybe transcribe a solo by someone on the song. I too am going to audition to a few schools for jazz studies or music education in a few months. I don't know where you live but I am applying to several schools and the auditions are in January at the earliest. If you want some names and ideas I would be more than happy to provide you with some.
12 fret fury
I agree with Punk Poser, So What and Impressions would work very well. Don't try to pull off something like Giant Steps if you don't know much jazz. Just make sure when there is a chord change, you follow it. Don't lose yourself in the vamp (I tend to do this a lot). With the key you can transpose any song. I wouldn't reccomend this though, as if you go to school for jazz your going to be playing in a bunch of different keys, so you might as well learn them now. Just learn your arpeggios and know your changes. That is what will set you apart from everyone else.
If I am not mistaken, So What is in D Minor (I might be wrong). But you can always transpose a song of a differant key into the key you want