Page 1 of 3
People, who are not musical in anyway, say music is their life? I'm talking about someone who has absolutely no uniqueness in their taste or anything, not people who are not musical but still make an effort to discover new bands and have diversity in their taste and the like. Am I alone in this?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
You are not alone...

DUN DUN DUN DUN!! EPIC!
Gear List:
ESP LTD EC-1000, Amber Sunburst with Duncans
Ibanez AJ30ECE Acoustic-Electric
Line 6 Spider II 210 120 watt
Line 6 UX2
Good forbid you will find something to your liking and not have an apparently already established unique taste.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I agree. For music to be your life I dont think it should be about one sub-genre. I think you should expand your music horizons, especially if you play an instrument like guitar.
Yeah...especially if its some emo who loves FOB. Thats not diversity.

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

I kind of agree with TS. I find it completely annoying when people say "omg music is my lyfe!1!" but they don't play any instruments, or don't even do anything art related. It just makes me wonder "If you love music so much, why wouldn't you want to even attempt at making some yourself?"

I have a friend who's like this, but all he listens to is EDM, and he admits to never even trying to learn an instrument.

It just annoys me a bit.
Nah I'm way to chilled out to worry about such petty things
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by Kensai
Good forbid you will find something to your liking and not have an apparently already established unique taste.

Indeed. Maybe somebody does have a vast knowledge of music, but just so happens to like Emo or something the best. As much as I despise scene kids and emos, they have the right to love music just as much as you and I.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Lol agreed, when you say "Music is my life," that should mean everyday you practice your ass off expanding your musical horizons and encompassing a wide variety of music styles.
Quote by slaptasticdave
People, who are not musical in anyway, say music is their life? I'm talking about someone who has absolutely no uniqueness in their taste or anything, not people who are not musical but still make an effort to discover new bands and have diversity in their taste and the like. Am I alone in this?

I'm confused by your second sentence. Are you saying that you're annoyed by people who try to find bands that are new and interesting to them, just because they aren't looking in "ground-breaking" areas like viking-techno-jazz?

Anyhoo, I'll respond to this thread by saying that I, personally, am slightly annoyed when people say "everything" as their music tastes. Sure, this would be fine and dandy if they listened to truly everything (genre-wise, like rock, blues, jazz, metal, classical, country, etc) But it always turns out: popular band #1, popular band #2, and so on.

In the long haul, though, just let people be people.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
yes....

i hear girls say that crap often....

you listen to the radio in your car...

music is not your life.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
"Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive." - Van Wilder
Quote by ToastYerLicks
I'm confused by your second sentence. Are you saying that you're annoyed by people who try to find bands that are new and interesting to them, just because they aren't looking in "ground-breaking" areas like viking-techno-jazz?

Anyhoo, I'll respond to this thread by saying that I, personally, am slightly annoyed when people say "everything" as their music tastes. Sure, this would be fine and dandy if they listened to truly everything (genre-wise, like rock, blues, jazz, metal, classical, country, etc) But it always turns out: popular band #1, popular band #2, and so on.

In the long haul, though, just let people be people.

what I mean is someone who doesn't actually have any interest in music and just listens to whatever is popular, but they still claim music is their life when they take no active interest in music.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
I don't really care. I mean hey, they like their music right? Let them be. Let them listen to whatever they want. Who care if its "unique"? Now if they were in your face non-stop saying it, then yeah, I might get a little annoyed because of how irritating they are. Other than that don't let it bother you. After all, it is just music.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by ToastYerLicks

Oh yeah this too.
"So what do you listen to?"
"Everything!"
"Yeah? What are your favourite bands?"
"Uhhh... *insert chart-toppers here*"
Quote by Ticket48
After all, it is just music.

Its not just music.

Quote by heaven's gate
Oh yeah this too.
"So what do you listen to?"
"Everything!"
"Yeah? What are your favourite bands?"
"Uhhh... *insert chart-toppers here*"

exactly
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by heaven's gate

Its not just music.

I knew someone would say that.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by slaptasticdave
what I mean is someone who doesn't actually have any interest in music and just listens to whatever is popular, but they still claim music is their life when they take no active interest in music.

Hmm, that's not what I got from your original post.

But regardless, that genre just might be what they like. Maybe that kind of music means something to them in some form or fashion.

I could say that gardening is my life, but lets say I only plant daisies. Everybody plants the damn things, but does that make me any less of a gardener? No, I'm just someone who enjoys gardening and daisies happen to be my outlet.
Quote by jetfuel495
Quote by Dog--
Quote by imdeth

Quote by Haggard13
Indeed. Maybe somebody does have a vast knowledge of music, but just so happens to like Emo or something the best. As much as I despise scene kids and emos, they have the right to love music just as much as you and I.

Yes. People seem to think they have to play instruments and like every single genre.

Like you have to be a painter who loves every kind of technique and style in order to like a painting. It's ****ing retarded.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I hate that cause usually the music they listen to is the generic MTV crap and their usually scene/emo kids who don't play or can't play any instrument well.
But I practice every day for hours and I don't even say I play an instrument.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by Ticket48
I knew someone would say that.

They beat me to it. A lot of us would say it.
Quote by theocao
I hate that cause usually the music they listen to is the generic MTV crap and their usually scene/emo kids who don't play or can't play any instrument well.
But I practice every day for hours and I don't even say I play an instrument.

Oh, you have just said it.
Quote by ToastYerLicks
Hmm, that's not what I got from your original post.

But regardless, that genre just might be what they like. Maybe that kind of music means something to them in some form or fashion.

I could say that gardening is my life, but lets say I only plant daisies. Everybody plants the damn things, but does that make me any less of a gardener? No, I'm just someone who enjoys gardening and daisies happen to be my outlet.

yes but thats just a release, gardening is not your life. The point is that these people say music is their life
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave

Yeah, at my highschool at the beginning of the year in my Sociology class she had everyone tell about themselves. I am the only person who actually plans to go into a career based around music, but almost everyone said "music is my life." I know alot of them, and I know they don't listen to much more than top 40's hits on the radio.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by slaptasticdave
yes but thats just a release, gardening is not your life. The point is that these people say music is their life

You argue my gardening skills and I'll pour some potting soil in your eyes.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people's livelihoods are. They'll enjoy what they want to enjoy and unless you're into mind control, you can't change it.

Oh well, back to reinventin' the waffle.

*leaves thread*
Quote by jetfuel495
Quote by Dog--
Quote by imdeth

Oh, and TS:

"Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Rush, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, Incubus, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin"

You have the most generic music taste I could ever imagine for a teenage boy, so please do everyone a favor and stfu.
Quote by Godzilla1969
You are ridiculous. Someone can still like music with a generic taste. Retard.

I'm not saying they can't like music, or say they like music. I'm just pointing out how rediculous it is to say its their life without putting anything into music, even if its just effort to broaden their tastes.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
Why would that annoy you? are you the 'uniqueness' gestapo or something?

maybe music IS their life.
maybe without the music THEY enjoy listening to, life is bland and boring.
you don't need esoteric tastes to appreciate music.
you don't have to study it,
or know anything about it's history or the way music is put together.

All you need, is to enjoy it. If you immerse yourself in music, it can indeed be 'your life'.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by slaptasticdave
I'm not saying they can't like music, or say they like music. I'm just pointing out how rediculous it is to say its their life without putting anything into music, even if its just effort to broaden their tastes.

So basically you're saying that you think someone HAS to be able to play an instrument to be allowed to say that they really like music?

Your logic is awful and you are an elitist bastard.
Around here, the people who say music is their life are just the people who listen to whatever is popular in the media at the time and nothing else. They know nothing about the music they are listening to or any other songs by the artist, but just listen to what everyone else listens to.
It is pretty annoying to me since music actually is my life, but I never say it like that. The only thing I really look forward to is band practice or things like that, I'm always thinking about music, working on a song in my head, relating everything to music, not being interested in much else that's not to do with music, spend all my extra money on music or musical equipment, etc. etc.

And then some fucker on myspace says music is their life and list shit like soulja boy as their favorite music. I don't really care what genre of music someone likes but if they list the shittiest mainstream band you can think of as a favorite, then you know that they're musical idiots
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Oct 16, 2008,
Page 1 of 3