yes. your hand should be floating above the pickup or sound hole, not rested on the bridge
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Doesn't classical fingerpicking technique involve anchoring your thumb on a string or something?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
No, fingerpicking uses all four fingers and thumb to pick. The hand is floated above the soundhole (when you're using an acoustic). Anchoring is NOT necessary in any means.

EDIT: God, I can't believe I didn't doublecheck my post...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Oct 20, 2008,
Tbh, I would like to hear from someone who really knows their finger picking shez on this, as the physical mechanics involved are very different to alternate picking. I wouldn't because I use my pinky when finger picking.
You can do either. I'd recommend learning without anchoring, but if you're more comfortable anchoring, do it.
Quote by Freepower
Tbh, I would like to hear from someone who really knows their finger picking shez on this, as the physical mechanics involved are very different to alternate picking. I wouldn't because I use my pinky when finger picking.

Currently taking classical lessons - does that count?
You can anchor your thumb on the low E string. It sets you up for rest strokes on the low E string. I personally don't, I like to keep my whole hand mobile, but a lot of really good classical players will anchor the thumb.
Other than that, standard rules apply. Anchoring like you might with a pick is essentially impossible with classical technique anyway (severely impairs mobility), and you shouldn't plant the side of your hand on the bridge.
^ im no paco (few people are)

but i will say that i don't do any kind of anchoring while fingerpicking and i do tend to use 3 or 4 fingers and my thumb.
Depends if you're doing rest strokes like Paco and Django, and I don't think anchoring with fingerpicking is bad, unless you're hybrid picking, or switching between the two.
You guys are talking about pinky anchoring right? Then I don't recommend it either but you can anchor your thumb.
I don't see why just resting your thumb on the low e string will hamper your finger picking, as your thumb still has access to the low e string and the a string and your other 4 fingers still have 100% access to the other strings.

Although I don't usually use my thumb for the A string because I find I have to move my hand to awkward position to hit it effectively without sounding the low e, so resting my thumb doesn't negatively effect me, although I find it just as easy to play without anchoring my thumb on the e, so I guess it's just what feels comfortably to you.
Quote by ArreatsChozen
I don't see why just resting your thumb on the low e string will hamper your finger picking, as your thumb still has access to the low e string and the a string and your other 4 fingers still have 100% access to the other strings.

Although I don't usually use my thumb for the A string because I find I have to move my hand to awkward position to hit it effectively without sounding the low e, so resting my thumb doesn't negatively effect me, although I find it just as easy to play without anchoring my thumb on the e, so I guess it's just what feels comfortably to you.

I am by no means classically trained, but i would assume it gives you more control and stability.

However the traditional way is to place the picking hand over the sound hole.
In Classical Guitar, its common to rest the thumb on the low E because the thumb is doing more or less a bass line. In flamenco, the thumb rests in the above the E string, and anchoring happens.

The problem with anchoring in general is that it is really subjective to what you are playing. Talking about finger picking, it is ok to anchor your thumb rather on the string or above, as well as it is to float, because anchoring your thumb won't drive to any hand problems and isn't limiting your freedom to pick as it is when you are picking with a pick.

Don't misunderstand me and attack me because I might favor anchoring, but in classical guitar there are times where you can and obviously in quick runs when you pick quickly from the low E to the higher e you need to stop anchoring, but as I say it depends on what you are playing.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Classical guitar technique:

Don't anchor any finger on the guitar top or bridge.

Anchoring any digit (except perhaps the 4th) on any string is fine, depending on context. Anchoring the thumb is probably encouraged rather than discouraged and often required for another reason - in order to damp bass strings. Most anchoring operations are temporary i.e. seldom maintained throughout a phrase or section let alone a whole piece or programme. Rigid systematic anchoring of thumb is counter productive. It's all in the Context, Repeat: Context Context.

I've even observed Julian Bream anchoring his thumb on the edge of the fingerboard when playing "sul tasto" (over the fingerboard).

To the poster who finds he/she has to rearrange hand to place thumb on 5th string, I advise that you re-evaluate how your arm, wrist and hand are positioned. A properly positioned hand and arm should allow the thumb easy access to all strings (including 1st,2nd and 3rd) with minimal adjustment.

To FP : systematically using the 4th finger for plucking is generally regarded as having a compromising effect on the hand's efficiency, in fact, the majority of classical plucking operations "can be" (not neccessarily "should be") adequately carried out using only the "upper hand" i.e. thumb, index and middle, -- although one certainly ought not ignore the highly essential ring finger.
Last edited by R.Christie at Oct 23, 2008,
Thanks for that. I find that I do have to angle my hand slightly differently to get a consistent tone if using my 4th finger - is that the compromising effect? I'd really like to hear in detail, as I know it's not commonly used never really understood why.

I'd also like to point out that I never, never, do proper fingerpicking, and that I would be using it as part of hybrid picking, in case I gave the impression I knew anything about real finger picking.

If you'd like to go into greater detail, that'd be great because otherwise I'ma close this thread pretty soon and edit your info into the stickies.
Quote by Freepower
Thanks for that. I find that I do have to angle my hand slightly differently to get a consistent tone if using my 4th finger - is that the compromising effect?

Essentially, yes, exactly that. In classical the whole hand/wrist/arm position and tendon "train" are set up for efficiency , in terms of access to the instrument, tone and volume production and muscular efficiency.

The 4th is obviously a shorter finger and to accomodate its (let's face it, weak in any case) action the hand rotates compromising efficient attack of the other fingers.

Often beginner classical guitarists are puzzled by my claim that the upper hand (P,I,M) can perform the majority of musical demands all on their own, after all, most modern methods train the ring finger very early on. I should be clear: the ring finger is essential for many operations (4-or-more note chords, arpeggios, most tremolos etc) .[But, if you doubt the claim just check out Paco de Lucia (I know, he's not classical) and watch how often he uses the ring finger].
^ thanks for that, I'm closing this now. If anyone feels they can add anything further, please just PM me the info. R.Christie, if you want to write any info on finger picking to add to the FAQ that'd be great.