So i picked up an mxr 10 band eq today, hooked it into the FX loop and it produces a nasty tremolo/phasey type of sound when the pedal is engaged.

Threw it in front of the amp and it did not produce that sound, but was noisy as all get out.

Whats up? Any ideas?
Guitars
Amps
Try running it in the loop with the loop output set lower, or maybe set the volume on the pedal lower. You might have a bad tube driving the fx loop, or maybe just a dud pedal like felix suggested.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I spose a dud pedal is a possibility....

I just replaced the tubes though, JJ power tubes and doug's rectifier set for the pre amp.

Whats strange is that with the volume on the pedal lower than 0 is does not produce the bad tremolo effect. With the volume over 0 or the gain over 0 it does. In bypass it does not produce the effect.
Guitars
Amps
Oh also I have tried the loop wetness all the way around and the bad effect only appears above minimum wetness.
Guitars
Amps
Sounds like a bad tube, figure out which one drives the fx loop and swap it with a different one.
Are you using an AC adaptor or a battery? If you're using an adapter, is it running from the same outlet as the amp? Batteries have the best sound, if you use an adapter, make sure they share outlets.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
It came with an AC adaptor, the adaptor is plugged in to the same outlet as the amp.
Guitars
Amps
As far as the tubes go, I have not noticed anything that would indicate a bad tube. How would you recognize this?
Guitars
Amps
try putting it infront of the amp. if you get the same results then its the pedal.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by Matt15f
As far as the tubes go, I have not noticed anything that would indicate a bad tube. How would you recognize this?
You won't really be able to tell by starring at them. Just get one that you know works and try it out.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/sRec_Sers2.pdf page 20, you'll see that V4 controls the FX loop in a Rectoverb.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'll try taking a look at the number 4 tube today. I also have a solid state amp I can hook the pedal to, to see if that amp experiences the same problem.
Guitars
Amps
SS amp has the same problem, lot of static noise when the pedal is engaged.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by sg622
try putting it infront of the amp. if you get the same results then its the pedal.

+1 it was what i was about to say.
I appreciate the help, I guess this sentence was not clear -

Threw it in front of the amp and it did not produce that sound, but was noisy as all get out.

It was supposed to mean that I tried it between the guitar and the amp and it produced a very loud static noise while engaged. It does that on my mesa and the SS amp i tried it on.

Im starting to think that maybe the pedal is bad. Probably take it back tomorrow and get a new one.
Guitars
Amps
Does sound like a bad pedal. Mine is a bit noisy, but nothing like you described.
I had a terrible experience with the MXR 10 band. I hated it. Noisey and useless up front, not much better in the loop. A Boss GE-7 with that sniper mod sounded much better to me.