Ok, wow. I went in today, and had a nice session comparing the VMJ to the Epi Tbird I was considaring, and here are my impressions:

I still love the thickness of the tone that the Tbird has. BUT, I really notice a lack of clarity, an almost muddying of the tone that is always there. I felt like the Tbird had a good tone, but it was buried, and that was at all EQ settings. It seems to be an inherent characteristic of the instrument. I also am not as fond of the neck profile as I was.

Now, to the Jazz. This thing should cost around $500. I really felt like I was playing a quality instrument. It did NOT feel like a Squier at all. I wonder why Fender doens't apply the VM attitude to it's standard and deluxe lines, to relaly beef up the reputation.

I can honestly say that I would not feel self conscious at ALL about playing on stage with this instrument. If anything, I would be PROUD to play it, it sounds that good.

I didnt buy it, I still want to spend another hour or so with it, on a different amp maybe, to be sure, but I can conclude one thing for sure:

The Squier VMJ kicks the shit out of the Mexican Standard Fender. I know, I used to own a Standard. Without a DOUBT, the mexican is not as good an instrument as the Squier. The build quality in SOME ways on the Fender are better, but overall, even the build quality is better on the Squier. if I get a jazz, with my current budget, it will be the VMJ for sure.

You guys are all enlightened, the bass is surely the best deal on the planet.
Yes, You must be new to the bass forum. We love the VMJ Squiers to death here.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
man when did musicstop get the VM and were you playing it through that line6?
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by ThatGuy177
and we hate Epiphone basses to death.

Stay positive, we want this one to stay.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Anjohl
The Squier VMJ kicks the shit out of the Mexican Standard Fender. I know, I used to own a Standard. Without a DOUBT, the mexican is not as good an instrument as the Squier. The build quality in SOME ways on the Fender are better, but overall, even the build quality is better on the Squier. if I get a jazz, with my current budget, it will be the VMJ for sure.

You guys are all enlightened, the bass is surely the best deal on the planet.

I would have to agree with you on all that. One thing I especially like is the bridge pickup positioning. I don't understand why fender changed it back to the pre-70's positioning.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I think that they should just brand the VM series Fender and sell them as the under MIM or slightly over MIM set of basses but not like hike up the price or anything. They would make loads. But then again, everyone would get one if it was a Fender, at the moment only a few get to love its greatness 'cause some people are just turned away by the brand.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Underjoggle
I have the TB Precision VM, it's fantastic.

what?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
This message is for a certain newfoundlander who may or may not even visit this forum:

I went in to buy my bass today, and was told someone bought it last night

So, if that someone was a random person, no foul. My mistake for not putting it on layaway thursday night. BUT, if that person read in my post that Musicstop HAD one, one that I had them take out of the back room...that I posted on here that i was buying...well, to that person i say **** you.
Quote by ScottB.

ohh telebass i read that as thunderbird thanks for clearing that up

oh and to ^ that must suck but good to see another newfoundlander it wasnt me though i dont live there anymore
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
For a second I thought Squier was stupid enough to let talkbass (TB) design a bass for them.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by alternitivebass
ohh telebass i read that as thunderbird thanks for clearing that up

oh and to ^ that must suck but good to see another newfoundlander it wasnt me though i dont live there anymore

it's not in green!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I tried one out today.

Such a nice instrument, the neck, the sound, the looks, the feel, all fantastic. And well under £300!
It's a very hign-end instrument, reminds me of greg bennett guitar actually. Yes, you heard right. I find the new samicks have a wonderful build quality.

This squier has the nicest build quality of ANY stringed instrument I have ever played for under $300. Mark my words, it will be discontinued next year...
man try a low end ltd, i think that may change your mind
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7