Page 1 of 3
last night at work i was listening to my ipod when i thought about what bands are we going to think of as classic when our generation gets older (our generation being 16-25ish). obviously some bands are going to fizzle out but what ones are going to leave a lasting impression like led zeppelin and others.

some bands i thought of were the red hot chilli peppers, foo fighters, interpol, radiohead and so on

so what are your thoughts
Guns n roses

I wish..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
nirvana, at the drive-in the mars volta
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
theres already been a thread on this........
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Pearl Jam
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
What I'd like to see as classic: Protest the Hero, Trivium

What probably will be classic: Pearl Jam, RHCP
RHCP will def still be popular in the distant future, as long as The Foo, and all the others you have named

But seriously, that's a good question. Will that stuff be considered Classic Rock when it gets older? Then what becomes of Led Zepp, AC/DC and such? Do they become known as almost Black and White-era old bands are now? A very thought provoking question...

Some others that I think will last will be the White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and System of a Down most likely.

pearl jam. foo fighters. chili peppers. oasis. white stripes.

a few more that i can't think of at the moment.
Muse.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
RHCP U2 Radiohead Pearl Jam Guns and Roses R.E.M. All the big successful bands from 80's up.
still standing
the darkness, avenged sevenfold, coheed, lenny kravitz, anything jack white is involved in
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Flying Couch
The Raconteurs.

The Raconteurs? Yeah right. White Stripes more likely but they will be forgotten too. Were talking bands that are legendary and record breaking NOW and will continue to be.
RHCP, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The White Stripes, Fall Out Boy... Nothing I really like.
Tool, Chili Peppers, Faith Hill, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Dave Mathews, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Shania Twain, John Mayer, Toby Keith to name a few. I don't base this on personal taste, just look at the most popular tours to see.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I think some of you are slightly detached from what is actually popular.

+1
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
every not sell-out band since the 90's.

so the ones everyone has mentioned before.
RHCP, Foo, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, SOAD, nirvana, green day (90's stuff), white stripes, etc. and of course BLINK-182@@

then some of the gay bands liek secondhand serendade will somehow survive. looking back, ill be pretty proud at our generation of music, considering how bad it could have been
Quote by SuperPhunTime
The Raconteurs? Yeah right. White Stripes more likely but they will be forgotten too. Were talking bands that are legendary and record breaking NOW and will continue to be.

ive been to 300+ concerts and the raconteurs have to be one of the best ive seen, theyre extremely great and before i went to the concert i wasnt even that crazy about them.
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
i think blink 182 for sure cause it's been 3 years and they still get talked about all the time.
Forgot Blink and Nirvana and unfortunately Green Day. I love Tool but they won't be huge and legendary like others. They were and are and will be important to the music scene but no not classic in everyone's eyes.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Green Day
Avenged Sevenfold
Blink 182
Jack Johnson
Linkin Park
My Chemical Romance
New Found Glory
RHCP
Tool

Pretty much the bands that have either been around for a while or the ones that have had albums with a lot of singles.

That list is full of fail..
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
I think Nickleback could. Although I don't really like them they have released many great singles and are still releasing songs.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Quote by SuperPhunTime

actually, people like Nick Drake, the legend himself, were hardly known in their own time. It's the span of their influence we have to look at.

At the Drive-In and The Mars Volta will definitely be in there.l
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by SuperPhunTime
Forgot Blink and Nirvana and unfortunately Green Day. I love Tool but they won't be huge and legendary like others. They were and are and will be important to the music scene but no not classic in everyone's eyes.

I think they are like some of the great classical composers of their time, many of the old composers were not appreciated until they were long dead. Some of their music is truly groundbreaking in terms of rhythmic composition, I think once they are long gone people will realize how brilliant they really were. Every other band out there imitates in some way shape or form, but Tool stands alone in their approach to music.
Not too sure. You see, back in the 80's, 70's, etc, the music industry up and kicking, leaving bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. a footprint in the history of music. Today, the music industry is pretty much dead, so to say any of these popular bands today will leave a footprint in the history of music would be quite unlikely. But you never know. I personally think today's music (the majority) is quite shit, but that's just me.
sadly, fallout boy will be there

but hey, im sure RHCP will still be running around in socks but then, and i reckon muse will last too, they're huge
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I personally prefer 33 A.D. when they finally killed that bastard Jesus.

^ BRILLIANT^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
I think definitely Disturbed, and maybe Godsmack? Although i haven't heard much of them lately, but i rarely listen to radio
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
Muse, RHCP, Foo Fighters, eh probably not many more.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by freedoms_stain
I think some of you are slightly detached from what is actually popular.

Yeah, just a bit. As much as I'd love to hear The Mars Volta on the radio in 20 years, they really aren't even half as popular as some of you like to believe.
Metallica, Muse, Foo Fighters, Blink 182, Greenday, RHCP, Radiohead, The Arctic Monkeys (maybe...). I'd like to see Tool up there, (although I don't like them but I do have a massive amount of respect for them).
I think Interpol will one day be appreciated by the masses.

To me, they're kind of like the symphony music of this Millenia. Some people share my thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAlQeUkaDQ&feature=related

There are String Quartet versions of several Interpol songs on YouTube. I'm glad I found them actually, because I was thinking Interpol would have sounded like that some 500 years ago.
Page 1 of 3