So I have noticed that though I have a pretty broad taste in music and I'm constantly looking up new artists, I don't own many CDs from each artist. It seems to me that many people have tons of CDs from certain bands (not just one band) and are pretty familiar with their songs. Meanwhile, I have one disc from many bands or just a couple songs. I just get too entranced by other bands before I really start to beef up on the discography of a certain one, I guess.
(Besides Red Hot Chili Peppers due to a debilitating obsession a couple years ago).
Is anyone else like this? What are your music listening and collecting habits?
I get discographies at a time and end up only listening to a few songs or one album for awhile.

I eventually get through the whole thing, but I never really familiarise myself with most of it.
I often get 'obsessed' with a band and only listen to them for a couple weeks and over that time I gather a lot of their material and weed out what I like most and never end up listening to the rest again, or at least until I get 'obsessed' with them again. The end result is I end up keeping some of their more popular songs and some lesser known ones so it doesn't feel that 'shallow'.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Oh wow, so I'm definitley the minority
I try to get too much done at the same time by going for different artists and genres but it's really satisfying to really get to know a band.
I'm trying to decide which CD to get next. Bah. Overwhelming, this is.

^To dingmydong: My "obsessions" last a couple days, most times. Ha, but that seems pretty similar to me.
Last edited by LHOOQ at Oct 16, 2008,
i focus on several bands entire collections at a time, and keep going, listening to covers of songs in genres i don't like to start to like them, i listen to anything from jazz to death metal, black metal nu metal i don't care, i try not to let rap mix in with my music in any way, and as little country as possible, other then that i let my taste blaze like a wildfire remaining as diverse as possibly.
I'm with ya LHOOQ. I seem to suffer from the one album per band routine too, even though I have incredibly varied tastes. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing at all, because you get inspired from everything. Then you get that feeling like when you're stoned and you want to mix random disgusting foods together, like Froot Loops lasagna or breakbeat bluegrass. At least, that's what they did on the one Frasier episode. Besides the breakbeat bluegrass.
LHOOQ, sometimes i do what you do, and just go through many different CDs that i like, without getting lots of the same artist. but when i find something that really stands out to me, then i get more of their discography and listen to them lots.
Quote by synpet713192
I get discographies at a time and end up only listening to a few songs or one album for awhile.

I eventually get through the whole thing, but I never really familiarise myself with most of it.

That's exactly like me!
For real.
I never have a broad span of cds. I always hear several artists in a given genre but end up with the discographies of a handful of artists as opposed to cds from a bunch of artists. If someone was to come into my house and look at my cds, they'd never be able to guess what my favorite genres are.