So tomorrow, my school is having it's pep rally, and this junior band is playing for like 5-10 minutes when people walk in. My band (a sophmore band) is good friends with them, and since their bass player goes to a different school, and he couldnt make the gig to play there, they asked me to play for them. Now in my band, I am the guitarist, but I also play bass, and people are starting to know me better for playing bass, as well as guitar.

In times that I jammed with my drummer on bass, he said that I try to play "Lead Bass" too much, which sometimes I can't help, because i'm a guitar player. I'm aware that tomorrow, I was asked to do this favor for them, and out of nowhere I can't just start soloing, but is there any way that I can just back up from taking the spotlight, since i'm so used it? I'm afraid that the band will hate me if I do something like that, and that's what i'm worried about.
honestly, i like it when bands have a good, thumping bass. make sure you can be heard.

but dont solo. stick to a basic beat. try standing in the very back of the band, make sure that you keep in mind you have other band mates.

im like that too tho =)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
how well do you know the pieces?

We are just doing an improvised jam, and parts of other songs, like we are starting with the intro to "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" Then it's just gonna go from there.
Quote by messiah01
We are just doing an improvised jam, and parts of other songs, like we are starting with the intro to "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" Then it's just gonna go from there.

Following the harmony, if there is any. Keep a steady count, but don't look nervous. Just relax and let it flow.
Just stick to the route notes, that sounds like what your friends want.
Although I can't think why, Hendrix's bass player Noel Redding was all over the place, very much like a lead bass, when he backed up Hendrix.

How many guitarists are there in the band?

If there are two, then yeah, a simplified bass line would probably be the best, but if it's just one guitar a complicated bass should fill the overall sound out nicely, just like Noel Redding used to do with Hendrix.