No threads that were active and from this year; so I ask here:

Why is everyone so obsessed with them? I want to understand this. I just saw that Jack White made top 100 guitarists for UG... and I don't really understand why. I want to know what everyone finds so fascinating about him and his bands as I like the music, but don't find his guitar playing to be "top 100" material.

Thoughts?
His guitar playing on Instinct Blues or Icky Thump showcases, I think, what people like about his playing; but I think his main strength is as a songwriter.
he is a great composer, he is not into hard rock or metal, he is more of a bluesy rock type, and for his style he is great and unique.
Quote by blue_strat
His guitar playing on Instinct Blues or Icky Thump showcases, I think, what people like about his playing; but I think his main strength is as a songwriter.

truth.

he's mainly hailed as a composer, not a guitarist. although he is quite the blues and slide guitarist, that isnt solely what makes him top 100 material.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
truth.

he's mainly hailed as a composer, not a guitarist. although he is quite the blues and slide guitarist, that isnt solely what makes him top 100 material.

Yeah, I certainly appreciate his talent... but I haven't heard much that makes him stand out as even a blues guitarist. A few licks here and there; but just nothing that is like "Wow."

But if, as you said, it is more his composing abilities... then I suppose that makes sense. That list didn't really make sense to me anyways... Dimebag was number 1... and he was good... but I didn't think he'd make number 1.

Thanks for hte responses mates.
I love Jack White, but I hate how the Raconteurs is "his" band. Brendan Benson and the two guys from the Greenhornes make that band. Great bass lines, great drumming, and personally I think Benson is a much better singer than White. I can't stand how White gets all the attention and the other guys get crap. At least that's what it seems like to me.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WdG_U6sVSU

He may not be one of the top 100 guitarists, or whatever. But, I find him amazing. He is incredibly creative and a virtuoso guitarist.

Quite impressive. It makes more sense now. His live solos seem to be a bit more impressive than the way they sound on the albums
Quote by MacFamousKid
I love Jack White, but I hate how the Raconteurs is "his" band. Brendan Benson and the two guys from the Greenhornes make that band. Great bass lines, great drumming, and personally I think Benson is a much better singer than White. I can't stand how White gets all the attention and the other guys get crap. At least that's what it seems like to me.

Because no one's heard of Benson and the others. They use the public's familiarity with White to sell records.
S'all in the riffs
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Jack White is the man

why is he considered top 100 guitarists?

ORIGINALITY

he sounds like nobody else, has his own style.

Style takes you farther than technical skill in this day and age
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Jack White is the man

ORIGINALITY

Exactly what I was gonna say.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Jack White is the man

ORIGINALITY

+1. And the fact that he can be original and stay so simple at the same time is really impressive. I love him.
he can compose his ass off ridiculously easy, and his tone is verging on becoming the main focus in life. i might drop college and forget jobs, just to listen to jack all day.

there's you reason mister zach.
Know it's slightly off-topic.. but can anyone explain the White Stripes relationship? My mum and step-dad told me they were brother and sister.. but a Wikipedia article says they're married... And that he's now married someone else, yet they're still making albums! I find all of this very confusing!

Would someone be able to clear this up for me please?
they were married but pretended to be brother and sister.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Ah, Ok... So how does that affect them being in a band? I'm sure being in a band with the ex would be pretty... annoying.
He's got a such a distinct style. His songwriting, his vocals and his guitar playing are all very unique. I get the feeling he could write a song in any given genre and still sound retain his style.