a couple of months ago i switched from 9 gauge to 13 gauge hoping it would build my finger muscles. only recently i switched back to 9 again.

right after i switched back i felt great. i could handle strings without feeling as much opposition as i used before. but heaven was short lived, and now my fingers have re adapted to the lighter strings, and i am back where i started, slightly struggling with bends and vibrato.

i wonder how people i see in videos handle strings (like with bending and all) so easily. i find it very hard to bend like a step and a half.

how do you guys build the muscles on your fingers? do you play bass at the same time? do you use guitars with shorter scale lengths (like les paul) and that makes it easier? do you just down tune half a step on songs that require alot of bending? how much easier does down tuning make it?

i have been playing for almost a year now if that makes a difference.

thanks in advance.
uuummm gripmaster?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
i actually do have that and i occasionally use it.

i find it quite useless though. i mean, you use different muscles to bend the lower strings upwards than the muscles that thing practices. and thats what i use for vibrato too.

anything else?
well, if i am using all three (forefinger, badmotherfinger, and ringfinger) then its easy.

my biggest problem is when i land on a note with my forefinger and i want to bend it like a step or more, or vibrato. it just sounds bad.
maybe you should practice on an acoustic?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.