I just have a question. I'm getting a new guitar soon, and it might be the Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue. Although I hear it is a great guitar, I also hear that the 250k pots need to be bumped up to 500k.

So. I have a few questions. Do I need 500k pots for only the two volume knobs, or the two tone knobs as well? Furthermore, are there different kinds off 500k pots? If so, what are they and which ones should I get, etc.
so it has 2 volume knobs already then you should be fine cause single coil pickups only need 250k ohm pots and you could redo the wiring so its not going thru the back of the pot and splice all of the ground wires togeater so it goes thou copper which is a better conductor than aluminum and if you do decide to have them changed you should defintly go with like a guitar company not cheap ones from like radioshack those arnt make for guitars and thanks for the thought ill need to use a mega ohm pot for my master tone i have 2 humbuckers so double. ill need to upgrade the pot
Quote by master noob
so it has 2 volume knobs already then you should be fine cause single coil pickups only need 250k ohm pots and you could redo the wiring so its not going thru the back of the pot and splice all of the ground wires togeater so it goes thou copper which is a better conductor than aluminum and if you do decide to have them changed you should defintly go with like a guitar company not cheap ones from like radioshack those arnt make for guitars and thanks for the thought ill need to use a mega ohm pot for my master tone i have 2 humbuckers so double. ill need to upgrade the pot

The deluxe tele has humbuckers, but it comes stock with 250k pots, making them sound a bit muddy.
Quote by master noob

Your username reflects your intelligence. Radioshack pots are fine. You must have ground wires going to the back of pots to ground their shells. Aluminum vs. copper makes little difference in an instance like this, especially in ground wiring. You don't need megaohm pots at all. You can if you want, but most use 500K. And a 72 deluxe tele doesn't use single coils, it uses humbuckers and therefore it would be better to use 500K pots.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I've played a bunch of Tele deluxes and I have to say I think 250K was the right call in this case. It's a bright guitar, and the humbuckers are on the bright side, so 250K works out. At least get the guitar before you decide to swap the pots.
the parts list for a '72 Telecaster Deluxe calls for 250k pots all around. and they're all audio taper.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/telecaster/0137702A/SD0137702APg3.pdf

Quote by Roc8995
At least get the guitar before you decide to swap the pots.
exactly. listen to it as-is, first.
if you still think it needs brightening up, use pots with a higher resistance.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.