I'm looking at getting another guitar, i have a fender strat now. I was looking at maybe an ibanez s470 w/ the zr tremolo or the esp ltd ec1000 or maybe a used carvin. i play at church and play some metal at home so i use alot of different tunings kinda so would the floyd rose be a horrible idea?
for multiple tunings it is a terrible idea. It's a tedious process to switch tunings.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
if you are going to have two guitars, just keep one in standard (guessing for church) and one for metal. best advice i can give you.
Are there any other good tremolos? the tremolo on my strat sucks so i don't even use it. what about a wilkinson tremolo?
i've never played one but i've heard good things about them...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Wilkinson's are pretty good quality but obviously wont give you the extreme effects of a double locking trem.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
If the Floyd Rose is setup to float or is recessed then changing tuning on it all the time will be a pain and not worth it. If its flush mounted or you use a device like a Tremel-no and have it in dive only move then its the same as having a Strat bridge except a wider range of dive bombs and better tuning stability. Personally if you're gonna change tunings a lot on one guitar the easiest is a hardtail.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
ZR tremolo has bridge tension roller on the back for a bit faster adjustment. It might help when changing tunings.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R