ok, so I'm buying a guitar off a teacher at school. It's an old kramer guitar, proabably a focus 6000 with a shark headstock (can't be sure *shrugs*). And I'm asking for ideas for mods, pickups that would work well for hard rock. Not metal.
Any ideas for mod's and the best way to get rust off the floyd on this thing are appreciated as well.

Mod Ideas: please send me ideas of how to get these to work

-led's inbehind the humbucker/ all the pickups; I'm thinking make a cavity to put a battery in? (set up on a completely different circuit from the pickups ect.)
-inbuild delay/distortion maybe even a wah?; same as the led's, inbuilt power supply. As well, can I get some diagrams for how to set this up? (the wah would be set up to a switch that slides from side to side and can just be flicked with fingers, I'd put this up where a l.p. has it's treble/rhythm switch)
-killswitch (manditory mod )
-and I might set up something other than a floyd. fill the hole and do a string through maybe?

aaaand waazzam! I've got a pic.

anyways, any help is much appreciated.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Nov 15, 2008,
leds aren't to hard, i think you just have to wire them to a battery and then a switch?

Inbuilt effects...

Killswitch, wire one of the solder lugs on the bottom to ground and the other to the volume pot and then to the output jack.

If you don't like using the floyd I don't see why you can't fill in the cavity. Just use hardwood similar to the body wood. Or you could get a cheap licensed floyd rose of Guitar Fetish, mighty mite, etc. Or the originals or schaller/ gotoh floyds: stew mac, warmoth etc.
Good Luck!
Quote by guitarcam123
leds aren't to hard, i think you just have to wire them to a battery and then a switch?

I'm pretty sure you'll have to use a resistor to stop the LEDs blowing. 330 ohm for each LED should be enough if they are in parallel and using a 9v battery. Get some more advice on this because I'm not completely sure.
thanks for that guys. I'll be sure to update once I get the guitar home from school.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by a_man
I'm pretty sure you'll have to use a resistor to stop the LEDs blowing. 330 ohm for each LED should be enough if they are in parallel and using a 9v battery. Get some more advice on this because I'm not completely sure.

I don't think you have to use a resistor, I have attached leds directly to a battery and they worked fine.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
got it home yesterday and cleaned up the neck. I've desided on a cam paint design. I'll upload pics once I've sanded it all off.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by Wicked Rose
got it home yesterday and cleaned up the neck. I've desided on a cam paint design. I'll upload pics once I've sanded it all off.

I was given good advice on this dont sand all the paint of just the clear coat, if you sand all the paint off then ur gonna have some frustration with sanding sealer
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
You should always use a resistor in an LED circuit. Its just to make absolutly certain that your LED's wont blow/fry.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
thanks for that guys. I might not get to sanding untill the weekend.... but I will eventually :P
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
ok, well I'm pretty sure I'm getting a new job soon so I'll be able to continue with this now. What I'm looking at first, is a distortion unit (doesn't have to be made for onboard) that I can jam inside and set up.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
alright, so I'm running a little late... like... almost a month. But I got the guitar sanded off today. I've been a little busy with exams and end of year projects, so the whole "let's do things quick" didn't work out. I'll take some pics and upload them shortly. (any good de-rusting stuff out there? the floyd 2 on this thing is nasty looking)
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
alright, I'm selling one of my amps today (I hope) so I'll have some money to continue with this. so can I start getting some suggestions?
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Is it a good floyd? If so it probably isnt worth it to take it out. They actually work pretty good if you just do some of those little blocking tricks.

I have heard that goo-gone works for getting rid of rust, then you can either repaint, or just put some polish/wax on the spots to keep them from rusting. Not that it'll rust again as long as you make sure that its not wet...

I'd suggest a phase switch for the bridge. I like the sound of them, and they do tend to be a bit useful, though I don't know if its worth it if you only play hard rock.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
yeah, I've pretty well decided on that now. it's actually a floyd 2 so it's not the best, but it's not bad either.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
well, I've gotten the floyd fixed up now. I got the rust of and got some mat black spray paint sealer. I'll upload pics once everything is dry and put back together.

Edit: eh, close enough
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Nov 25, 2008,
well, I've decided on a midnight blue sort of colour for most of the body and maybe some black highlighted kind of stuff. anyone got any suggestions for little details I could put in with the black or other colours?
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
I've finnished everything to do with the neck and I'm going to do the body paint asap. I'll upload pics when I get back from the movies today. should be.... about... ah **** it. *goes and gets camra*

... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Dec 10, 2008,
I know, not the best pics. my step-dad has taken the actual camra so I've had to resort to web cam. basically, I just spray painted the hardware all black and on the bit behind the neck I painted over the lettering with gold, similar to the stenciling on the headstock.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
pretty nice...NO KILLSWITCH!!!! (see sig)

other than that, mod away! floyd looks awesome, too.

and putting leds BEHIND the pups will be pretty hard to see.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by LP Addict
thats a striker, and its made out of plywood.

floyd looks good, i wouldnt put any paint on the knife-edge.

umm... might be a striker, but it sure as hell isn't made of plywood. I've accidentally sanded it down to the wood in a few places.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
pretty nice...NO KILLSWITCH!!!! (see sig)

other than that, mod away! floyd looks awesome, too.

and putting leds BEHIND the pups will be pretty hard to see.

*sigh* ok, look, IT ALREADY HAS A HOLE IN IT. It's either have an empty space on my guitar, or put in a killswitch. I don't have one on any of my other guitars and it'd be nice to have, considering the direction my band is heading. (sorry if that seems a bit harsh man, I'm just tired of having to explain this to people.)

and basically I plan on having the led's in a small hollow behind the pickups so that they aren't visible, but will still give off a light.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
take a picture of inside the cavities with a close-up view. if its a non-plywood striker i am going to poo my pants.

hahaha, right-o. I may be wrong. and I hope this turns out well. I don't have a decent camra around right now :P

edit: hell, if it is, I'll machine a body up for it made of freak'n mahogany or something just to mess with your mind.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Dec 10, 2008,

wabam. there you go man.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
fair enough. you're probably right, *shrugs* and if that's the case, I think I may sand it down further to have a closer look.
if it is, as I said, I'll be doing a mahogany body up for it.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
got my paints and the finnish. now I just need to get the damn rain to stop...

edit: I also bought a s.d. '59/'69 humbucker today, so I'll be replacing the existing piece of garbage with it.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
will do man. only problem would be payment (live in aus, all I have is debit and my parents would cry bloody murder if I used their accounts to pay for it.)
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
aaand I'm going to kill my parents.
mom opened the door to the garage while I was painting the body and it sprayed dust and crap all over the wet paint. *sigh* oh well. light sanding and redo the layer. was just a base anyways.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
alright... I've hit a block. I need inspiration for designs for the blue over black conscept I've started.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
bah. it's done. paint and neck are finnished. now it's down to rewiring and testing it out. I'll upload pics sometime soon.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
and it's all together. I'm putting it into the shop tomorrow to get it strung and the floyd set up properly. I'll upload a pic once it's back.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
and here it is;
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
I will be once I get ahold of the parts. any idea where I could get a switch in aus? I can't seem to find one without ordering online.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
been to both recently and they didn't have any momentary switches in stock. I'm thinking I might just buy an on off switch and have it for while I'm switching guitars and whatnot.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose