Poll: Should pop groups like the Jonas Brothers or Rihanna be considered a band
Poll Options
View poll results: Should pop groups like the Jonas Brothers or Rihanna be considered a band
Yes
5 25%
No
15 75%
Voters: 20.
I've come here; to Ultimate-Guitar, to discuss the validity of bands. When can we consider a band a band? Let's take the Jonas Brothers for example. They write their own music and release albums. However, their patrons are Walt Disney Company and their ridiculously religious father. On the other hand, there are artists like Rihanna who have nothing written by them. And if there's any discussion about pop and how different it is from rock music; let me remind commenters that pop music is actually a branch off of the early rock days of the 60's and mid 50's.
What i'm trying to say here is; when can we, as listeners of bands, consider a band a band. For obvious reasons we can leave mainstream bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, and The Beatles as bands. But the discussion here is whether bands who have professional songwriters or censors like parents or a patron company can be considered a "band"? After all, isn't the spirit of rock and roll the idea that there are NO BOUNDARIES in this genre of music?
I've grown up in a household learning classical music theory but was enraptured by the culture and the complexity of rock and roll. I just find that the Jonas Brothers or Rihanna pretty much wreck everything that the youth counterculture has stood for in the 50 years of its existence.
Anyways; enough of my rambling, i want to know what you think, Ultimate Guitar users.
I spose the whole thing is, anything can be considered a band, my band for example, we're just high school firends that play rock covers and write our own music and enjoy playing music.
However, i think on a professional level theres a difference between music groups being considered a "band" as such, or a musical act.
Jonas brothers i would consider more of an act, on the professional level, in the basic sense of it they are technically a band, but the circumstances of their music i spose makes me consider them more of an act, Rihanna i would classify as a performer.
Anyway, thats what i rekon, its all pretty complicated and a mess of personal opinion but hey
No, they are not a band. They are just another mass produced Disney designed band that if were to be ultimately "culled" would be a benefit for the future of music and musicians alike.

For the amount of people that hate Jonas Brothers on UG there sure are a ****ing lot of threads about them. I would kind of prefer they wernt mentioned on our beloved UG.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
Quote by slafoo
No, they are not a band. They are just another mass produced Disney designed band that if were to be ultimately "culled" would be a benefit for the future of music and musicians alike.

For the amount of people that hate Jonas Brothers on UG there sure are a ****ing lot of threads about them. I would kind of prefer they wernt mentioned on our beloved UG.

erm wut??

they're a band, doesn't meant they're good though

edit: the hives have songwriters and lyricists, and they are a great band, so i suppose it all comes down to opinion, but solo artists like rihanna are solo artists, anyone who plays their music live is a band in my eyes, atomic kitten and girls aloud are pop groups, whilst some singers like mika have a backing band.
Last edited by yeoman125 at Oct 17, 2008,
I would classify any group of musicians playing (or singing) together as a band. Thus Rihanna is not a band, but the Jonas Brothers are. Manufactured band, yes. But a band nevertheless.
this world music is created by all types. and big labels hire songwriters....and then a pretty face to sing those songs. its all about money man. some bands start the old fashioned way....but most ones u see nowadays are fabricated. its the world we live in
A group of musicians who collaborate together to produce music sounds suspiciously 'band-like' to me.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Jonas Bros. are a boy band like fall out boys or new kids on the block, they are just a fad that 10 years from now people will say, " I can't belive I liked them". Rhianna is just pop and is probably gonna end up another one hit wonder like every other "r&b" singer these days. Ex. Amy Wino, Lily Allen, Rihanna, Soulja Boys.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.