i am wondering if an overdrive pedal will get me metallica like tones.

or should i get a distortion.

i would like metallica tones but not extreme heavy metal. i would also like to be able to get some classic rock and blues.

don't have tons of cash so cheaper is preferable $150 AU Max

pls don't tell me to save for an amp as i am very happy with my current amp.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
Try and find a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Its an overdrive and distortion in one. Its pretty good and can do metallica fairly well. They can be a bit expensive but i got mine second hand for $130
You can get a distortion pedal, without having it sound like extreme metal, haha. Look up some of the Boss distortion pedals...maybe they'd have a decent range for you, even though their best distortion pedal would be the MT-2 Metalzone.
i thought about an od/distortion pedal such as the marshall jackhammer but i've heard these types of pedals aren't very good with distortion.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
I've got the boss mt-2 mentioned above. It gives a pretty decent scooped mid distortion but its not all that versatile. You won't really get blues out of it, but it will give you all kinds of metal tones. Maybe the ds-1 for a solid all around distortion? It goes for like 50$ i think.
But its all subjective so the best (only?) way to tell on all these pedals is to go to a music store, plug them up, and play on all of em till you find what you like.
Hi, the Boss MT-2 Metalzone packs a fair amount of bang for you buck. It has a cool 3-band EQ so you can really play around with the mids. A friend of mines uses the MT-2 through his Marshall MG (solid-state) setup, and is able to taylor some pretty cool distorted tones.
Definitely very capable for Metallica, and classic rock tone, should work well with you Epiphone Valve Special, i would think.
The flame rises but it soon descends, empty pages and a frozen pen.