Hey,

I want to buy a electric guitar so i wanna know:
1. Should i get 1 with a tremolo arm?
2. Are tremolo arm guitars a pain to maintain?
3. Would you reccomend tremolo arms to anybody or just to more experienced players?
4. What are the problems with tremolo arms (FR licenced bridges in ESP LTD guitars in particular)

I heard the main problem with tremolo arms is that the guitar goes out of tune when you use it. If this is the case then how would you use a tremolo arm without that happening? Also feel free to tell me methods to fix the other problems with tremolo arms.

Thnx
depends if u play with dropped tunings,floyds are really just for standard tuning,but also drop d. floyds are easy to maintain if u know what ur doin, when i got my first guitar with a floyd i got used to it really easy , now i can set it up perfectly and no it doesnt go out of tune when u dive bomb and such, well theres some floyds that dont work very well. i have not tried esps with floyds before so cant help u theres sorry. but to me, i would rather buy a guitar without a floyd its just easier and theres more u can do with it and easier to tune.
1. if you want one, buy it
2. it's a little bit more difficult at first with tuning and stuff, but you'll get used to it
3. it doesn't matter how experienced you are
4. tuning (if you are new to it)

if you buy a guitar with a floyd rose tremolo, it won't go out of tune so fast (i tune my guitars about once in two or three weeks, they stay perfectly in tune^^)
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
They stay in tune as long as you keep the locks on the nut. And you can tune down etc. with the fine tuning nobs on the FR itself.
If you're new to electric guitars, my advice would be go with a hardtail. If you're good at fixing things, very patient, or know a good guitar tech, the tremolo will work. They're really fun, but a pain in the ass to maintain (especially when you break a string). And you should note that Strat tremolos are much easier to maintain than floating trems, such as a floyd rose.

So have fun dude! Electric is the way to go!
ibanez s series have a ZR trem, which is MUCH more low maintenance than every other trem i know. you can drop tune/change tuning from the fine tuners without messing up the whole system.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
I have an LTD MH400 with the licenced FR. Once it is set up properly and well-balanced and the tuning lock nuts nice and secure, the tuning is rock solid - even if you crank on it.

I mean, sure, you can *make* it go out of tune, but you really have to try.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah... the string locks at both the nut and the bridge. *Anything* will go out of tune if you stretch it hard enough. Dive bombs aren't as prone to going out of tune as much as when you do harmonic squeals when you pull up on the bridge. If you really crank it repeatedly upwards it will nudge out a smidge. But anything will with that sort of abuse. A few 'sane' ones will see you fine though.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 18, 2008,
The cheap LTDs that come with the vintage tremolos go out of tune quite often.
This should be in the Electric Guitar forum.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
1. All depends on you. I love them, but really that's all opinion.
2. Their string-thru, meaning you have to flip them upside-down and thread a new string through, plus heavy use will detune of it's not locking, albeit as long as you stay within reason it should be fine. Locking tremolos are also hell to restring in my experience, although my friend with an OFR says that once you get used to it it isn't so bad. Otherwise it's just a different type of bridge with more options.
3. Really I recommend trying it out and if you like it getting it. I know a bunch of people who feel "there are better effects than a bendy stick at the bridge", so that's all in the air from guitarist to guitarist.
4. People claim synchronize tremolos go out of tune easily if you look at a non-locking one, but frankly I've divebombed strats before, I don't see what they mean. As for the licensed bridge,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGcY6T4xHc

That should explain. Hope any of this helps. =D
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
actually floyded guitars go out of tune a lot less, but if you have an lfr, it will go out of tune when you yasnk it a lot. i recommend it to more experienced player, not because it's harder to play with, but because it's a lot harder to maintain. string changing is a lot harder and more complicated. tuning is a little complicated. theyre a lot more fun to play with, but it's a pain in the ass to tune. esp ltd floyds kinda suck. i know cuz i have one. just dont use it a lot and it won't go oput of tune. tuning stability is great. better than my jackson and a strat i used to have. also, floyded guitars have less sutain, which doesnt matter too much to many people. matters to me though.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Don't go near a floating bridge as a beginner, you'll have a nightmare - aside from the tuning, setup and re-stringing problems they're incredibly sensitive. It takes a while to develop pick control and accuracy and up until that point you'll be hitting the strings pretty hard and pressing down too hard, and when you do that on a floating bridge everything goes slightly out of tune because you pull the bridge up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
although i have 2 guitars with tremolos, i hardly use them. my vote is to go string through with tune o matic or hardtail
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
People on this site will mostly tell you not to get one. If you use more than one tuning, or tunings that are far apart, you will have to adjust tension and stuff. Takes patience etc.

Like was said before, if you want one, get one. Its better to go with a higher quality OFR, Schaller FR or high end ibanez FR if you have the money, but with all the resources around here and on youtube its pretty easy to get your bridge in good shape and working well with some maintenance.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by steven seagull
Don't go near a floating bridge as a beginner, you'll have a nightmare - aside from the tuning, setup and re-stringing problems they're incredibly sensitive. It takes a while to develop pick control and accuracy and up until that point you'll be hitting the strings pretty hard and pressing down too hard, and when you do that on a floating bridge everything goes slightly out of tune because you pull the bridge up.

My first guitar had an LFR (my Dad gave me it ) and it wasn't THAT bad, I learnt everything about the guitar much earlier than other people around me and it forced me to develop the patience to sit down and practice the same technique over and over just to develop that bit of accuracy that allowed me to sound that little bit cleaner.
so changed my strings today on my rg120 today and now have discovered what the hell everyone was talking about, this should definitely be fun trying to get the tremelo back in its proper position grrr
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w