Yes they are, but for God's sake, don't buy such an expensive speaker for a shitty amp.
Quote by Horlicks
Yes they are, but for God's sake, don't buy such an expensive speaker for a shitty amp.

Agreed. Putting Vintage 30's in a Valve King is like dropping a Cadillac 4.9 Northstar in a Chevy Celebrity. You might as well as hit the roulette table and put all your money on 00.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
Agreed. Putting Vintage 30's in a Valve King is like dropping a Cadillac 4.9 Northstar in a Chevy Celebrity. You might as well as hit the roulette table and put all your money on 00.

I was talking about the Celestion Gold
It's $289, more than the actual amp itself IIRC. The Vintage 30 on the other hand is only $119.
ValveKings are NOT worth upgrading.

Why didn't you put the $400 that you paid for the speakers toward a better amp in the first place!?
okay, so where does the tone in an amp come from? i thought it just came from the tubes and the speakers.

i chose the ValveKing because it has the tube setup that i want and the texture control is incredibly useful because i play in small and huge venues throughout the week, and i got the 2-speaker model so that i could put two different types of speakers in it. i only use the clean channel - all my overdrive and effects are on my pedalboard.

does an amp's tone come from somewhere else other than the tubes and speakers?
Quote by Catalyst106
okay, so where does the tone in an amp come from? i thought it just came from the tubes and the speakers.

i chose the ValveKing because it has the tube setup that i want and the texture control is incredibly useful because i play in small and huge venues throughout the week, and i got the 2-speaker model so that i could put two different types of speakers in it. i only use the clean channel - all my overdrive and effects are on my pedalboard.

The whole is more than the sum of its parts, friend.

Tone isn't just tubes and speakers - it's also the circuitboard, wiring, etc.

As well, the VK212 costs $600.00, which is still less than what I paid for my 112, and I replaced my speaker anyway. I say go for it if you like your sound, but want a better one. Changing the speaker will probably eliminate 50% of the VK's muddiness.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Catalyst106

By that logic, solid state amps have 'no tone'
Quote by Horlicks

haha.. sorry, i guess i meant ".... a tube amp's tone....."
Quote by Horlicks

SS amps don't have speakers now?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene