right ive done a few threads like this, basically i need proper guidance on this because im taking my guitar skills to the next level since i have been playing for 4 years. how do i set up my epiphone les paul so that i can fret the strings really easily without killing my fingers. i need to do it so that i have no buzzing aswell. i have just bought the best strings ive ever bought and these are elixir strings that have those plastic coating on it.

thanks in advance
If your still huting your fingers fretting after 4 years of playing, I'd say some technique is wrong.
If you have a tune-o-matic bridge you can just turn the screw typed things on the saddle to lower the action.
Quote by JackalUK
If your still huting your fingers fretting after 4 years of playing, I'd say some technique is wrong.

well i have to say my timing isnt amazing and i am very heavy handed ie i do press down really hard but how do i get out of that?
if you want to remove buzzing, it is not just because of action. it could be the frets, the nut , the neck or the birdge. 4 years and your fingers still hurt? you have a problem there. maybe you're fretting too hard.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
if you want to remove buzzing, it is not just because of action. it could be the frets, the nut , the neck or the birdge. 4 years and your fingers still hurt? you have a problem there. maybe you're fretting too hard.

well thats the thing i get really frustrated cos i cant play as fast i can on my lesbo paul and i am heavy handed but how do i "grow out of that"
Quote by gooooog
well thats the thing i get really frustrated cos i cant play as fast i can on my lesbo paul and i am heavy handed but how do i "grow out of that"

have you used a metronome? a very useful gadget.
Quote by gooooog
well i have to say my timing isnt amazing and i am very heavy handed ie i do press down really hard but how do i get out of that?

Lighter gage strings would help. What are you using?
Lowering your bridge is your best bet, also you may need a trus adjustment.
I use a straight edge to make sure my necks are totally flat. Some people like a little arc in their neck but I do not! Then again I'm a super strat player, we love flat necks!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by leviticus_22953
have you used a metronome? a very useful gadget.

lol but i never really learnt how play with em and also i cant keep my timing by playing against drums i find it unatural. i really need to improve this part of my playing
its not just the frets...its how hard you hit the strings. this means playing softer. if you can learn to play as soft as possible it will really open up note articulation.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Quote by gooooog
lol but i never really learnt how play with em and also i cant keep my timing by playing against drums i find it unatural. i really need to improve this part of my playing

learn to use one. a metronome would help. start slowly then build up your speed. timing is important, very very important. and pay attention to the tension in your hands. try to change your string gauge as well.
Quote by gooooog

When you practice, try fretting the notes as lightly as possible but still making the note ring. This will take some time, but eventually muscle memory will take over.

(btw I see you're a fellow Lincoln dweller.)
Quote by crossy uk
When you practice, try fretting the notes as lightly as possible but still making the note ring. This will take some time, but eventually muscle memory will take over.

(btw I see you're a fellow Lincoln dweller.)

haha! well i live in saxilby but i lived in lincoln till bout 4 years a go and i still go to yarborough school. cheers mert

btw ive just bought some new strings they are 10s and they feel and sound amazing

thanks to u all!
Quote by bob vila
its not just the frets...its how hard you hit the strings. this means playing softer. if you can learn to play as soft as possible it will really open up note articulation.

what do u mean by that?
You don't have to use much pressure to get the note to fret, by learning to regulate the pressure you use you can easily get different sounds fron the same fret.
yeah but the trouble is it aint my style ya see im mostly playing heavy metal and the softest i get is when im playing cleans and it dosent sound or feel right when i dont hit the strings hard with ma pick