Need help to decide if i should buy a Laptop or new desktop. Here's my story, I've had 4 PC's in less then 5 years. Never did anything bad like torrents and no viruses, but they just wanna die out on me and at the time its too much money to replace. Most people in my family have a laptop, and they go crazy with it, doing unsafe things and there computers are fine. Today I'm going to circuitcity to buy a pc, Laptop or Desktop, Basic Pc's not gaming, also I'm college. Have you guys had better luck with laptops or Desktop's, thanks!
LOL
Depends on what you're gonna use it for. If you need it while out or traveling, a laptop. If you're not gonna need it outside your dorm/wherever you live, go for a desktop.

Personally I say desktop.
desktops are mucm more versitile while laptops are extremely portable, it really comes down to what you want to use it for. But then again you could always get a laptop and get a docking station and have pretty much the best of both worlds.
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w
Desktop for sure.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Whether it's a laptop or desktop have no impact on if it's going to have viruses/spyware/e.t.c. or not.

You might want a laptop if you're in college, especially if you're in a college with internet everywhere. Plus you get alot of student discounts with laptops.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Are you turning your computer on with a sledgehammer?
That might affect how it works
I doubt your computers crapped up because they were desktops. You must've either bought a shit pc or done something stupid to it.
Quote by tommyt
you see what youve done draken youve unleashed airplay upon unsuspecting teens, damn you and your self righteous reportyness

buttsecks?

"Cookies? Who said you could eat *my* cookies?!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
desktop aye for one more round?! If i do, my 5th desktop in 5 years lol. Any good brand? HP?
LOL
apple mac...

*runs and hides*
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
ever seen a laptop run crysis w like a desktop?

nope =)

i lovemy desktop, use it for CAD and Gaming.

super comp!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Last edited by x0rsist at Oct 17, 2008,
They have their own advantages and disadvantages. It's like asking which is better, acoustic or electric guitar.

Personally I prefer laptops. I don't like being tied down to one corner of the room.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
Quote by airplay
I doubt your computers crapped up because they were desktops. You must've either bought a shit pc or done something stupid to it.

My recent PC that died was a new Gateway, Gateway uses their own form-factor for the motherboard and Power supply, its not like the same as other pc, not replaceable unless its gateway. The onboard GPU died and the powersupply along with, no gaming or anything just regular internet uses and college work. warranty ran out, cost me 300 dollars to fix....included the extended warranty, only they were gonna fix it.
LOL
Quote by elliott FTW
apple mac...

*runs and hides*

Seeing as Apple macs and laptops are disliked here Ill admit I have a Macbook Pro sitting on my lap now!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by saphrax
*Insert joke that Crysis doesn't run on any PC, so yes I have here*

i beg to differ my friend

*cranks up settings in crysis to enthusiast*

ahhhh
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Seeing as Apple macs and laptops are disliked here Ill admit I have a Macbook Pro sitting on my lap now!

The new ones are so sexy.

I'd love a MacBook of some description, but:

A) They are too pricey for me
B) I don't need one
C) I have other things on my list of "to buy"

Quote by x0rsist
i beg to differ my friend

*cranks up settings in crysis to enthusiast*

ahhhh

I used to do that....

With UT! Oh yeah!
Quote by Chrisiphone

mines big and white, and has iMac written on the back of it. i think its about a year and a half old now, and its still amazing.

well i say amazing, i dont really know what amazing is.
i know absolutely nothin about computers...

except how to use photoshop, internet and editing software... thats bou tit
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Laptops are not more safe if that is what you are implying. If your PCs died then it is probably your own fault, or just bad computers.

You're going to be paying extra money for that portability. The same specs in a laptop is going to more expensive than the desktop with the same specs. If you don't need your computer to much more than surfing the web and taking notes, a laptop could be great. I have a desktop because I like to play higher end games (not Crysis ) and run some other, more taxing programs. In your case, I would suggest a laptop.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
If you want a good pc, build your own desktop. Most of the ready built pcs come loaded with loads of rubbish software which usually goes wrong.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
For me a laptop is best. Just a lot more portable what with wireless internets, I can faff about with my laptop wherever I am in the flat, and I don't need the computing power of a desktop since I don't do any gaming or any other particularly processor/3d card intensive activities any more.
...Bleep Bloop...
I have a of MacBook Pro which I use for Music Editing (Protools, Cubase), Video (Final Cut, After Effects) and graphics (Dreamweaver, Adobe aps). It runs as many programs as the desktops I have at the studio. the perk about the MacbookPro Laptop is that I can take it everywhere and work on my stuff on the road or at other artist's studios and all I need is a portable storage unit. If you are on the go, the laptop will be beneficial.
Quote by elliott FTW
mines big and white, and has iMac written on the back of it. i think its about a year and a half old now, and its still amazing.

well i say amazing, i dont really know what amazing is.
i know absolutely nothin about computers...

except how to use photoshop, internet and editing software... thats bou tit

Go with a laptop with 2 gb ram, good video card, you can still game and most of the time it works better than a desktop. I recommed a tosihba satelite, those have worked well for me
me and my mum are thinking about changing the pc to a laptop. just for more space, and the computer is too annoying to pull out just to reconnect a cable.
Desktop.

Laptops have their place but I'd need a specific reason to get one.