What can you do with a Bachelor of arts in music?

By the way all I play now is eletric rock guitar...nothing else. not an ounce of piano.

Cant read music...

Basic understanding of theory.
label yourself as a lazy no good layabout
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Then you won't get a BA if you can't read music, play piano or understand theory.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
What can you do with a Bachelor of arts in music?

By the way all I play now is eletric rock guitar...nothing else. not an ounce of piano.

Cant read music...

Basic understanding of theory.

Then why are you asking this question?
You won't get one, so... ?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
cant u just learn it all while ur going for the degree.. im not in school right now!

No.

IIRC, you need to be HIGHLY educated in music theory, etc.
Years of formal music education are required to even be considered!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
the most logical thing you would go into after getting a BA in music, is Teaching,
either teaching classes, or teaching 1-on-1 lessons

and yes you'll need to be able to read music,
and play piano,
and be able to sing harmonies
and be at least grade 5 music theory
and preforably grade 8 at your chosen instument
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
cant u just learn it all while ur going for the degree.. im not in school right now!

Get graded examinations in:

Playing (you will want the highest grade on your primary instrument) and around grade 5 on piano
Theory (probably grade 5, possibly higher)
You must be able to read music.

If you don't have grades where you live, then ask a university what their requirements are. Go on their site, order a prospectus.
I started my BA in music performance without any knowledge of music theory, very basic reading and never having played the piano; i'm learning all of that in those classes so you dont have to know that before going for the degree. Once you've adquired the degree you will know all of that and I guess from there you can teach or use your knowledge to make your music better and become a pro.
If I were you I'd do something else music related before trying to do a music degree.
You may not even qualify to get into a course with no music history. I'm considering studying music when I'm finished the degree I'm doing at the moment. I'd say it'll be very difficult.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
well my community college offers a degree in liberal arts music .( Assosiates)
From there I was just thinking of transfereing to a university such as rutgers mason gross and go for the B.A
I dunno, you'd be better with a usefull degree like science or English to be honest. Far more careers there.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Hey Thrasherfromhell----so you just knew guitar ? Thats basically my postiton and Im like not sure of everthing cuz ppl say that u gotta know all this stuff before going for a degree in that. Do u need to know a lot of classical stuff?
I can only tell you what it's like here. If you want to do a BA in music performance, popular music/whatever then you need the things I said. It's obviously different in Florida.

Ask a university, they will tell you.
Okay some people here are misinformed.

Let me tell you some factual information, as a current music major:

-You don't need to be well versed in music theory. In fact, most classical environment assume that you don't know much beyond basic notation reading. You will take classes on theory when you're enrolled.
-For most cases, you don't need to know piano. They may require you to be trained on piano in the course of your studies, and in a few places initial piano experience is required if you want to be a composition major. However, most programs don't have this initial requirement but it is very useful to learn.
-If you go to some of the most liberal schools out there right now, such as Berklee or Musician's Institute, you're not even required to know how to read music. They will teach you from the ground up, although it's still extremely beneficial to have this skill before you audition.

There are no general "music" degree. Usually, you have a concentrated field such as performance, composition, production, education, business, etc. So with that said, I think you can get an idea of what you can do with these degrees.

But you want to consider a couple of major issues:
-Do you really want to pursue a career in music? It's not fun and games when you turn a hobby into real work. If music is anything less than complete passion, you will be dreadful you made the decision to study music.
-If you only know rock guitar, you're limited down to a very few number of music programs that will take you seriously.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 17, 2008,
Well the thing is that the degree will take me 4 years in total because i'm studying in a community college where I'm doing two years, then i'll transfer to a university for the other half.
What I think is that the two years I'm doing in college are considered as an A.A degree, and then in the University level is a B.A. So I guess that for a B.A. of two years you will be expected to know music as someone with an A.A.

If you want to get a B.A you will need to get an A.A first, which will not require you to know theory or history.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Okay some people here are misinformed.

Let me tell you some factual information, as a current music major:

-You don't need to be well versed in music theory. In fact, most classical environment assume that you don't know much beyond basic notation reading. You will take classes on theory when you're enrolled.
-For most cases, you don't need to know piano. They may require you to be trained on piano in the course of your studies, and in a few places initial piano experience is required if you want to be a composition major. However, most programs don't have this initial requirement but it is very useful to learn.
-If you go to some of the most liberal schools out there right now, such as Berklee or Musician's Institute, you're not even required to know how to read music. They will teach you from the ground up, although it's still extremely beneficial to have this skill before you audition.

There are no general "music" degree. Usually, you have a concentrated field such as performance, composition, production, education, business, etc. So with that said, I think you can get an idea of what you can do with these degrees.

But you want to consider a couple of major issues:
-Do you really want to pursue a career in music? It's not fun and games when you turn a hobby into real work. If music is anything less than complete passion, you will be dreadful you made the decision to study music.
-If you only know rock guitar, you're limited down to a very few number of music programs that will take you seriously.

In many UK universities, they require a LOT of musical knowledge. You have to have been formally studying music for a few years, and qualified with enough grades to continue.

I assumed everywhere else is similar.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
In many UK universities, they require a LOT of musical knowledge. You have to have been formally studying music for a few years, and qualified with enough grades to continue.

I assumed everywhere else is similar.

The problem with classical music training is that it focuses primarily on the performing aspects. Most students study performance, not composition, when they start studying classical music as toddlers and young teenagers. They're trained in reading music, which entails basic theory, but teachers usually do not elaborate on musical construction, harmony, or composition techniques. Therefore, it is very possible, and is most often the case that classical students have been formally studying music with a private teacher, yet are theory illiterate.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana