So I will be getting my first amp for my birthday. I have a choice between either a small modeling amp like a VoxAD 15/ Roland Cube ect or a 5 watt tube which will be the Epiphone Valve Jr. Since it's my first amp i don't know what to expect in the long run. I have tried both BTW and i really love both of em' but for different reasons. What would you guys suggest? How much better would tube be then solid state?
if you have the option of going tube on your first amp, I would jump on it! I was playing 20 years before I made the switch from SS to tube and I couldn't believe it! I didn't know what I was missing! I'll never own an SS amp again! (unless it's some little practice amp, even then I may still spring for the tube!)
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Yup, go for the valve amp if you like it. The effects are only cheap anyway, you could get a POD for cheap to do the same stuff, although personally I'd save up and invest in a few good quality pedals to your specific liking once you've got ya Valve (Y)
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Quote by Stearner
Yup, go for the valve amp if you like it. The effects are only cheap anyway, you could get a POD for cheap to do the same stuff, although personally I'd save up and invest in a few good quality pedals to your specific liking once you've got ya Valve (Y)

Yeah, i was kinda thinking that. I REALLY loved the tone on the Valve but the thing doesn't exactly have any options on it (it's got one giant volume knob and a power switch) while the VOX has a TON of effects and tone options. It's just hard for me to decide on a amp that does one thing Godly or an amp that does many thing decently.
i'd probably go with the small modelling amp were i just starting out, unless you only need one or two different tones. also, be careful with the roland cubes, the cube 15 and 20 don't have the amp models which the micro and 30 do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably go with the small modelling amp were i just starting out, unless you only need one or two different tones. also, be careful with the roland cubes, the cube 15 and 20 don't have the amp models which the micro and 30 do.

What exactly does the mico and the 30 have that the 15 and 20 don't?
take the epi VJ, and later if you want lots of features, you can get a good processor.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
just get used and buy an epi VJ and an ME-50, boom your set, and same here if you can get valve first.
it might seem simple but its the best way to start anything, simple and easy, it might seem like a disadvantage for an amp to have just a volume knob, but youll have time to shred away once youve masted the basics.
Quote by pak1351
What kind of music do you play?

Hard/classic U.K. , Grunge, A bit of black metal, Blues, a little bit of Southern rock.
No contest. Vj and some pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Bathory fan
What exactly does the mico and the 30 have that the 15 and 20 don't?

well, the 30x has acoustic, black panel (fender blackface amp emulator), brit combo (vox ac30 emulator), tweed (fender tweed amp emulator), classic stack (60s marshall emulator), metal stack (marshall jcm800 (i think) emulator), r-fier stack (mesa boogie dual rectifier amp emulator), plus a clean channel modelled on the jc120 (a classic roland clean amp) while the 15x only has the metal stack model out of those, plus overdrive, distortion and metal stompbox models which, from memory, just don't sound very good, they're a bit sterile. the 20x adds acoustic and tube drive models to those. basically the 30x (and micro, which has about half the models of the 30x, which is still a lot better than the 15x or 20x) just have a much wider selection of tones available, which sound more amp-like and natural too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stearner

+1