My friends and I are going to Britain during spring break and i was wondering if the vox and Marshall amps there are cheaper then what they sell here. we'll probably stay around London and probably be visiting the country sides.

p.s i'll use ebay uk if i have to
Last edited by kckyle at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal

JCM 800 appears to be cheaper in the UK.
All other Marshalls and Voxes (Huh?) can be assumes to be cheaper too.

Makes sense IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Due to the exchange rates i wouldnt have thought anything would be cheaper for you here, despite the fact they are made here, but dont take my word for it i haven't looked.
My Gear:

Jackson RR5
Marshall TSL601 Limited Edition Racing Green
Quote by Gabel
Keep in mind that not all of them work with 110v though!

+1243234

Overlooked that.

You'll need an adaptor or a voltage switch on the back og the amp. More likely you'll have the switch witha head than a combo, if I'm any judge.
Quote by Gabel
Keep in mind that not all of them work with 110v though!

its alright i have a power wattage converter thing at home. got it when my parents bought a laptop from japan couple month ago.
Keep in mind amp heads are pretty hefty in both size and weight so make sure you don't end up paying a couple hundred more dollars just to get it back with you on the plane.
Check your converter too, it might not be able to handle the power draw of the amp.
Keep in mind the power draw of the amp is much more than the output- for instance a "15 watt" amp can easily draw 75.
Quote by Roc8995
Check your converter too, it might not be able to handle the power draw of the amp.
Keep in mind the power draw of the amp is much more than the output- for instance a "15 watt" amp can easily draw 75.

hm didn't know that, thanks, but if anything i'll just get converter that can handle the power draw. as for bring it back, i'm bring with me as little as possible. and i think the maximum weight you can take on the plane without paying extra is around 60 pound? i'm not exactly sure on that but i'll have to look into it later
Good luck getting an amp on a plane. I'm not sure you'd want to check it for fear of it getting crushed or broken. I'm also rather sure that if you try to carry it on, whoever is running the X-ray will crap themselves and you'll end up getting your butt probed in a back room somewhere by an unfriendly TSA employee with cold hands.
...or so I hear.
^ +1

Make sure you get a box when you buy it, and make sure it's filled with those white foam packaging things. Take the tubes out of it for transport, and maybe carry those on, or package them really well too.

Another option is to buy a flight case (perhaps off eBay) for it.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
yeah I'm definitely buying a flight case when i get the amp. as for your prediction about x-ray.....let's hope your wrong, very wrong lol
Buy me a Laney Pro Tube!
Quote by Roc8995

Well a laptop greatly uses more power then an amp, so I can't see any faults
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^No it doesn't. Ever seen the transformer to a laptop? Not very big. Ever seen one on a tube amp? They're huge. Why are tube amps so heavy? Transformers!

TS: Not to sound like a douche, but don't get an amp in England. You're going to have to pay more for bringing it on the plane, plus there's A LOT of risk bringing on the plane too. Secodnly, you'll need an external transformer and those are also expensive. You don't want to cheap out on those transformers, plus there are MANY risks of running the amp like that (I hear people breaking their converter transformers all the time). PLus a nice one is around $150+. Plus the amp won't sound as good with a converter transformer. Sorry to sound like an a**, but...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^No it doesn't. Ever seen the transformer to a laptop? Not very big. Ever seen one on a tube amp? They're huge. Why are tube amps so heavy? Transformers!

TS: Not to sound like a douche, but don't get an amp in England. You're going to have to pay more for bringing it on the plane, plus there's A LOT of risk bringing on the plane too. Secodnly, you'll need an external transformer and those are also expensive. You don't want to cheap out on those transformers, plus there are MANY risks of running the amp like that (I hear people breaking their converter transformers all the time). PLus a nice one is around $150+. Plus the amp won't sound as good with a converter transformer. Sorry to sound like an a**, but...

it's cool, thanks for the advice, now i'm having major second thoughts with all the drawback i have to go though. not it seems getting one from Britain might not be worth it.
It may be easier to buy it and ship it back to your house rather than fighting the people at the airport... it won't be cheap, but it would be easier.
Yeah, well for the price of shipping, might aswell get it in the US really.

However, check out pedals! Stuff like Roger Mayer and so on.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yeah, for all you'd save, it's probably not worth the bother to be honest. if you even save anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out Orange Heads, they have a voltage switch. So might some Marshalls, I don't know. Gabe's point about shipping still stands, however
Just get an Electric Amp. Instead.