Hey guys, so i was thinking of my options for when i leave education and i guessed that its a really slim chance that i'll make it big with a band, because-

A: The band i am currently in that has been gigging has lost its drummer and the other two members don't seem committed.

B: My new band (that is still in a very early stage) is good but 2 of the members are already in another band who have been together for a while and are quite established.

C: There are a hundred thousand bands out there all trying to get noticed.

This isn't to say i'm not gonna try, i would love to try and get noticed in a band, but of course i need a backup plan and/or a steady job at the same time, i would hate sitting behind a desk inputting numbers for reasons irrelevant to me, there is the option of becoming a session musician but my knowledge of music theory is very basic and as far as equipment goes i can be kinda inconsistent on what kind of tone i get.

So i would be stuck, but a little while back i really enjoyed writing and was also told that i'm very good at it (don't take this post as a basis for your judgement), so i wanted to try and do film journalism, but now my passion is music and guitar, so i am thinking about music journalism or something like that, so do you guys have any tips? is this a good idea? how do i get started?

TL;DR- I am thinking about doing music or guitar journalism as a day job once i finish education, advice?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Sounds good. Then, if you get noticed, you can quit the day job, or you can just keep the band going with the day job as a main source of income.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Try doing some practice reviews of some bands - they'll have to be bands you dont have a particular bias against.

And if you have little music theory knowledge you can forget about being a session artist. You're generally expected to beable to sight read sheet music flawlessly.

Plus i dont know how old you are but not all jobs are pushing numbers/sat behind a desk. If you told me i'd be doing geology at university 2 years ago i wouldn't have believed it. Theres still plenty of time to shape your career assuming you're under 18.
Yeah, you'll find loads of options for jobs, there's a lot of variety out there if you're wiling to work hard and train.

Write some example reviews of music and see if you can get doing any free practice for free local magazines or websites. Might get you some valuable experience.
There is poetry in despair.
You are going to need to maybe take some kind of journalism course if you wanna do that sort of thing. Thought of doing one of those?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
nowadays you need to have a BA in Journalism to get a decent job in that field without starting up your own website/zine, and also, don't become a music critic, music critics are horribly lame and get very little respect from anyone other than other music critics.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Tour the country with Stillwater.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Well i'm 18 years old and doing a BA in music right now, if i do have to have a degree in journalism i would consider doing that if i am still interested.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
Well i'm 18 years old and doing a BA in music right now, if i do have to have a degree in journalism i would consider doing that if i am still interested.

You really should do something in journalism or at least media. I'm in the second year of my BA in Journalism and it really does teach you about a lot of things that you might not think of about Journalism etc., it'll teach you about pess conferences, how to interview correctly, how to write news correctly and how not to get yourself thrown in prison or sued.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by nebiru
Tour the country with Stillwater.

I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT