Hey, everyone. I know this is slightly trivial, but here goes. I just got an Ibanez JS1200 and want to replace the Fred with an Evo 2 I have. Will taking the strings off the guitar be THAT bad for the neck? I heard you shouldn't do that when replacing the strings, but I don't know how to put in a pickup with the strings on... Thanks!
No the neck will be fine if the strings are only off for a couple of hours even days,

be sure to block the trem when you do or it will pull really far back due to the springs.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
you could also just take the trem off without removing the springs.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
you could also just take the trem off without removing the springs.

Why'd he want to do that? He's changing pickups; taking the tremolo out with the strings in it could get ugly.

If I was to change pickups on something with a floating trem, I'd put something under the trem (teaspoons are great for this), take the strings out of the bridge (still attached at the tuners), do what I need to under the pickguard, and put the strings back in (and in tune) before unblocking the trem.
Last edited by MopMaster at Oct 17, 2008,
Guitars dont explode if you take all the strings off at once. And there is no way of putting pickups in a guitar without removing the strings its like taking the engine out of a car without jacking the front end up or opening the hood. The only real issue is the pain it is with a FR when all the strings are off. Block it no issues anymore.
Quote by Tackleberry
Guitars dont explode if you take all the strings off at once. And there is no way of putting pickups in a guitar without removing the strings its like taking the engine out of a car without jacking the front end up or opening the hood. The only real issue is the pain it is with a FR when all the strings are off. Block it no issues anymore.

Exactly. I don't know where everyone keeps getting it in their mind that a neck on a guitar is so fragile that doing ANYTHING other than playing it will destroy it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Where would I stick the afore-mentioned teaspoon? In the back?
Under the floyd on the front.

The floyd will want to sink INTO the guitar with the strings off.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Alright, I put in the pickup. Turned out that I didn't have to stick anything in the bridge. Thanks a lot, folks!
Quote by Saminator
Alright, I put in the pickup. Turned out that I didn't have to stick anything in the bridge. Thanks a lot, folks!

You did have to put something under the bridge, cause the bridge would of gone back into the body, making it impossible to string and tune. We all told you "block off your bridge" so that the floyd does not fly back into the body. You were supposed to block it so that it still layed flat with the body, and then when you tune, the bridge will keep going up and up, you will have to tune it like 100 times and it will always go up. In the end your bridge would be in the same position as if you were doing a dive bomb and you'll have a sore arm from tuning...
^ Yeah I never understood that...
How the **** am I supposed to tune a floyd rose, it just keeps going up!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by guitarcam123

You did have to put something under the bridge, cause the bridge would of gone back into the body, making it impossible to string and tune. We all told you "block off your bridge" so that the floyd does not fly back into the body. You were supposed to block it so that it still layed flat with the body, and then when you tune, the bridge will keep going up and up, you will have to tune it like 100 times and it will always go up. In the end your bridge would be in the same position as if you were doing a dive bomb and you'll have a sore arm from tuning...

No, it wont keep going up because the claw the springs are on hasnt moved, so when he restrings, the tension in the strings will equal the tension in the springs and the bridge will be level again. The main reason to block the trem when you take the strings off is so the trem wont press into the body and damage the finish.
EDIT: whoops didnt see the date on this thread!