Me and my mates, we're thinking of making a band together ... like for fun and stuff as all of our bands that we're in at the moment are complete failures, all of us are highly influenced by funk and grunge, especially me and the bassist (im guitar, buying a fender deluxe stratocaster next month! YAY!)... but we were wondering whether the darkness of grunge and the pop of funk would mix...

opinions?
Grunk?

Funge?

I reckon it could work, do a nirvana styled village people number!

*Imagines Cobain Singing San Francisco (You've Got Me)*

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
anything can work
I drive a big chevy truck

Jackson DKMGT
Epiphone SG
VOX-AD30VT
Peavey BXP bass
Yamaha 12 string acoustic
Behringer BX1800 Bass amp
KORG toneworks pandora's box PX4D
BOSS overdrive/distortion
go for it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
well in funk the first rule is to pull your **** out, then you rock out. Do the same thing but don't shower. There. Grundge mixed with funk!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Of course they could. RHCP mixed rap and funk in their early days.

Grunge and funk could add more dimensions and emotion to the funk. Maybe a heavier chorus with a scratchy bouncy verse or something? Remember, there are NO rules in music, only theories.

And theories can be changed at any time...
Listen to I know Somethin' ('bout You) by Alice In Chains.
It's proof that it can be done
Quote by Funky_Fresh91

thanks
yh. wer gna go for it!!! if any of u live in taunton or bridgwater nd see an ad for a gig or sumfink ... please come!!! XD
Quote by Funky_Fresh91

lol i thought this just before i read it!

+1
There's only one way to find out, so experiment with it.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Of course. Where do you think RHCP came from?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
Of course. Where do you think RHCP came from?

Agreed.

Also, another band that kind of mixes these two would be Guns N Roses.....think "Rocket Queen". That's not too far from a grunge/funk hybrid really. (Yes, I know GNR are hard rock, but for the most part, the separation between hard rock and grunge is pretty much just flannel and another overdrive pedal.)
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
excellent idea TS.

good to see someone these days is original, although it's gonna take a while to figure out the sound. Im sure with practise at it, you'll get it.
AiC has a song on their Facelift album called "I Know Something About You". It sounds like AiC meets RHCP. It's a sick song, funky and grungy at the same time.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by TheFly_1990

I reckon it could work, do a nirvana styled village people number!

*Imagines Cobain Singing San Francisco (You've Got Me)*

Well, if you think the Village People are funk then you've obviously no idea what Funk is. Village People were Disco.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
well disco was the white mans funk...

listen to a bit of funkadelic...very funky but they have quite a few hard rock riffs. while not grunge it shows that rock and funk mix well.

also grunge, like most alternative rock styles is usually focused on a loud chorus. so say a funky verse and a powerful chorus of powerchords

look at dani california as well. while not grunge it implements the idea of funk in the verse and the a big guitar sounds for thechorus and solo
Quote by CodyGrant
My band's been wondering what to call this style we've been working on. The closest thing we can say is grunge and funk mixed. But you guys check us out for yourselves, here's our youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/surroundsoundlive

Its good, it sounds kind of like Blur, but angrier. Not sure how much of it is funk, but it's good.
What kind of question is that? Just write your music, dude. Let it speak for itself.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Don't go into a project or band and try to force two sounds together because it might sound cool. Do some funky grunge or grungy funk or something and try to make it natural. Few genres mix perfectly. Just go for your own sound and make sure you focus on writing good music before trying to do something obscenely original.

I love curry and I love chocolate but I would never mix the two...
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
go listen to a band called nuclear rabbit. they have mixed everything with everything.
no sir away a papaya war is on