I seem to be stuck in some kind of loop here.
Whenever I play guitar by myself I start hating on my tone, and whatever tone I dial in never seems to cut it.
When I play with my band however, it sounds clear and nice.
What should I do?
Gear:

Gibson LP Studio EMG 81/85
Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Turn your amp up when you practice or practice with your band more. Maybe don't play with an amp when you're by yourself.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My 100w tube is way too loud to play cranked in my bedroom. My neighbors will call the cops or something similar.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Me too. I want a new guitar, but I don't think that'll happen until another 2 months minimum. Mine is getting on my nerves. I also hate my tone. I don't play any songs (or barely any) that use single coils. I want humbuckers. Last but not least, I'm running out of songs to learn, until monday. I'll learn the entire Black Ice album.

It's hard to find motivation to learn new stuff with my current guitar.
UG's AC/DC Lover
hehe, actually, I'm quite satisfied with my gear. But only when I play solo I don't play anymore, I just turn knobs .

Set-up:
Gibson LP Studio w/ Emg's
Engl Sovereign 100w.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Get a Line6 GuitarPort or something of the sort, you know digital stuff for your computer. Lets you dial in whatever tone you feel like (kinda, it's not gonna make it sound like a Mesa or ENGL, come on..) but it's pretty good for just jamming out with yourself, especially late at night.

Unless you already have a processor pedal, I'd suggest that.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Consider getting a low-wattage tube amp for practicing.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Quote by SLD.Potato
Consider getting a low-wattage tube amp for practicing.

That's what I was considering, but will I still get enough gain out of it for metal and hardcore style music?
And what about an attenuator, do those put out?
And @ the computer tip, maybe a line6 POD?
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
An attenuator would be a great choice if the problem is you like the cranked tone better. I'd suggest a weber MASS. Great for the price and almost no suckage until you go to max attenuation.
Quote by Kevin Saale
An attenuator would be a great choice if the problem is you like the cranked tone better. I'd suggest a weber MASS. Great for the price and almost no suckage until you go to max attenuation.

My knowledge on attenuators is practically 0, should I get the same wattage as my amp or?
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Quote by RoyNOHEROES
My knowledge on attenuators is practically 0, should I get the same wattage as my amp or?

Depends, how loud are you turning it up? Do you need power tube saturation. If you're wanting to get power tube break up, I'd suggest atleast 150, maybe 200. If you've only set the master at like 3 or 4 you could probably get by with 100 watts.
Quote by esp1234
Stop playing for a week or less. It worked for me

Tried that, everytime I want to play along with a song I get REALLY irritated by my sound and start turning knobs for an hour or so. Which doesn't help anything at all.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Quote by Kevin Saale
Depends, how loud are you turning it up? Do you need power tube saturation. If you're wanting to get power tube break up, I'd suggest atleast 150, maybe 200. If you've only set the master at like 3 or 4 you could probably get by with 100 watts.

For loudness I have the bedroom settings of:
Lead 2.5
Master 2.5

But the sound I want lies between 5-7 of both.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Quote by RoyNOHEROES
I seem to be stuck in some kind of loop here.
Whenever I play guitar by myself I start hating on my tone, and whatever tone I dial in never seems to cut it.
When I play with my band however, it sounds clear and nice.
What should I do?

Stop coming on UG and obsessing over gear and just play guitar.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Guitar lessons always motivate me.
And to put things in perspective, sometimes I teach them. You can NEVER learn too much.
Have you though about pulling a couple of tubes? You'd have half the wattage, which wouldn't make it a lot quieter, but it would help you get the power tube break up it seems your after.
Quote by timi_hendrix

That is the best advice you can get.

...seriously. Just think about it a little.
Quote by timi_hendrix

Quote by Slash42x
That is the best advice you can get.

...seriously. Just think about it a little.

Read first, then comment please!

Quote by RoyNOHEROES
hehe, actually, I'm quite satisfied with my gear. But only when I play solo I don't play anymore, I just turn knobs .

Set-up:
Gibson LP Studio w/ Emg's
Engl Sovereign 100w.

Never heard of Tube pulling before, how do you do it. Or should I let a tech do it?
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Last edited by RoyNOHEROES at Oct 17, 2008,
I'd email engl to see if it can safely be done with your amp. For most amps you pull the inner or outer two tubes. The load going to your amp also has to be halved. So if you are right now running an 8 ohm out to an 8 ohm cab, then you would need to run a 16ohm out to the same 8 ohm cab. Make sense?
Quote by RoyNOHEROES
Read first, then comment please!

I did read, I was giving you some perfectly good advice. Did it ever occur to you that I might have suffered the exact same problem and realising that sitting on UG wanking over gear wasn't helping me become a better guitarist helped me out of that rut?

If you're playing with your EQ more than you're making music, you should just stop playing guitar and become a sound tech.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Oct 17, 2008,
Yea, just put in the cab from 8 to 16 ohm in the plug right?
I'll call the shop tomorrow, see if they can try doing that.
Because when I bought this amp 1 year ago, I was totally in for the W's but the W's only make it harder and I still can't get full tube breakup when I gig because the cab mic's can only take 90db.

btw: props for Kevin_Saale for actually helping me out opposed to some others.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Yeah, some amps have different jacks for different ohm some have a switch, just make sure if you're cab is 8 ohms the amp is at 16 ohms.
So with tube pulling you can get the tube breakup when first at master 7 now at master 4?
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
Not exactly, but it will be quieter when the tubes starting breaking up. I suggested it because it's free. If you're still not satisfied then an attenuator would be a good choice. If you pull the tubes and use an attenuator then 100 would be plenty.
Quote by timi_hendrix

This.

It's easy to forget why you buy 5000 worth of gear in the first place.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Not exactly, but it will be quieter when the tubes starting breaking up. I suggested it because it's free. If you're still not satisfied then an attenuator would be a good choice. If you pull the tubes and use an attenuator then 100 would be plenty.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll call the local shop in tomorrow, my regular tech should give me a little more advice on this .
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock