Can anyone recommend me a good new pair of speaker for mah car?

Keep the price under $200 I guess, workin at Steak N Shake doesn't help me pay for too much.

Thanks.

Look at the bottom post for the current question.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at May 3, 2009,
Ah, figured you were a troll at first, but it says you live in the UK..and I don't think there are any there..

It's a restaurant that sells *mostly* Hamburgers and *amazing* Shakes.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
Can anyone recommend me a good new pair of speaker for mah car?

Keep the price under $200 I guess, workin at Steak N Shake doesn't help me pay for too much.

Thanks.

What size? And are you going to use an amp? If so, what wattage?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by clearchaos
Steak n shake is one of the best restaurants ever, IMO.
their fries are the best.

I'd have to agree. XD

And to Dirk, I guess I shoulda thought of that before I posted. I'll get back to you on that, I'm headin out for work.

*5 p.m. - 1 a.m...Gotta love it *
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
cool, so like TGI fridays? i went there once... it was pretty good

anyways back to subject. the ones i could see were like £50 tops, so around $85?

it seem you could get anything you wanted with $200. unless is misunderstood
Quote by I Be Andyy
I'd have to agree. XD

And to Dirk, I guess I shoulda thought of that before I posted. I'll get back to you on that, I'm headin out for work.

*5 p.m. - 1 a.m...Gotta love it *

Yeah, that's kind of important to know

But the good news is, if you don't have an amp, you'll be paying well under $100.
Hi, I'm Peter
this became a thread about american restaurant chains
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Hum, well there is no amp, I know that much.

I can't seem to find the size of the speaker in the back, though.

If it helps, it's an '01 firebird.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Either its a 6 or 4 inch round speaker, or a 5x7 or 6x9 oval speaker. If you can, try find some JBLs. I've got a set of 700watt JBLs in the ass end of my car and they go HARD, even without being amped.
Ah, on the JBL site it says they're 6 1/2 inch, 3 3/4 depth.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
A set of Alpine Type-R component speakers should do you good, I've seen them for as low as $150. After that I would invest in an amp if you don't have one installed.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I'm not really into the whole car audio thing, so I have no idea what an amp really does.

Does it just make it louder, or will it actually sound better?

Because I don't care for loudness, I just want good quality.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
an amp will do both and alpines are good. I have type S 5x7 with no amp and they sound nice ,but if you get an amp you should get the type R.
Hum, alrighty.

Anyone want to recommend an amp?

And, I guess when we decide on an amp we can decide on speakers.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Oct 18, 2008,
Ok, here we go:

If you decide to go with an amp...

An amp will make your music sound better and make it louder. You don't have to have a boom car to enjoy an amped system.

An amp is only practical if you have an aftermarket head unit. You can use what are called "Speaker level inputs" to run the amp (you splice wires into the factory speaker wires) but that is a pain in the ass and the sound quality isn't as good. As far as what amp to get, the sky is the limit. You have to come up with a realistic budget and stick to it. You also need to figure out what you want to do. A 4 channel amp will give you the most flexibility, allowing you to power 2, 3 or 4 speakers. Rockford Fosgate makes good, inexpensive amps that usually put out more power than what the box rating says. Alpine makes good, reliable amps that provide clean power. Pay attention to RMS wattage, not maximum wattage. RMS is essentially the amount of power the amp constantly puts out. Then decide on speakers.

Let's establish the difference between speakers. A component speaker means the woofer and the tweeter are separate units and are both wired to a crossover, which controls which frequencies get set to which speaker, either the woofer or the tweeter. A coaxial speaker has a woofer and at least one tweeter in the same unit, usually with the tweeter mounted in the center and the woofer surrounding it. When a speaker description says "2-way" or "3-way," it's referring to how many different types of speakers are in the speaker unit, so a 3-way speaker will have a tweeter, a midrange (like a bigger tweeter), and a woofer. More "ways" however, isn't always necessarily better. Most high quality coaxial speakers are 2-way and that's it. As far as components, here are the pros and cons of going with components:

Pros: They give you more sound quality and detail than a coaxial speaker. They also allow you to adjust the sound staging (where the speakers are relative to the listener's ear).

Cons: Most cars don't come with components from the factory, so you'll have to figure out where to install the tweeter and the crossover, making installation more complicated Components usually require a lot more watts RMS than a comparable coaxial speaker.

If you're not an "audiophile," I wouldn't bother with components.

Alpine Type R speakers are pretty good, but usually require close to 100 watts RMS to run. Amps that put out 100 watts RMS cleanly and reliably are relatively expensive. Alpine Type S speakers are good middle of the road speakers, and most people won't really tell the difference between the two. Other speakers to consider are Infinity, RF, and Kicker. They all produce speakers that need about 40-60 RMS to run effectively, which is much more accessible cost-wise. The key here is to find a big box store (Best Buy, Circuit City, whatever) and LISTEN to them. That's the only way you're going to find out what you like. Personally, I find Alpines are a little harsh and sound good with a sub. I prefer the sound of Infinity speakers in a non-sub system. But again, that's my personal preference.

Say you did a system like mine - Infinity speakers in all 4 factory locations, a 4x40 watt amp, and an aftermarket H/U, you'd be looking at spending about $600 or so, $200 for the speakers, $200 for the amp, $100-150 for a serviceable head unit, and then another $50 or so for the amp install kit, speaker wires, and what not.

If you don't choose to go with an amp...

If you don't choose to go with an amp, go for the lowest wattage RMS speakers you can find. These are usually Pioneer, Kenwood, or Sony, and all of them will work well with a factory system or a system that only has an aftermarket head unit with no amp. You could get four speakers from those manufacturers for $150 or so.

The reason I harp on the RMS thing is this: you can hurt a speaker more by underpowering it than you can by slightly overpowering it. That, and an underpowered speaker sounds like crap. This is why components are a TERRIBLE idea unless you run an amp, and even then you should get it within at least 75% of the speaker's wattage rating, so if the speaker is rated for 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms, the minimum amp should be 75 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms, but the closer you can get to 100 watts RMS, the better.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 18, 2008,
o.o Wall of text, but, thanks..I think I got it. It'll take a few months to get the money unless my dad wants to chip in.

Oi, so..what do you think of this set-up. :
Head Unit

Amp

Speakers

That's about $651.85 without shipping..But, is that the price per speaker? Or does it come with more?
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Oct 18, 2008,
I have that head unit its good. that looks like a good setup. the speakers should come in pairs.
Those amps are great. And they're compact, so inconspicuous installation shouldn't be a problem.
Hi, I'm Peter
im surprised nobody started reccomending guitar speakers yet
vintage 30s ftw xD
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
To Dirk: Thanks mate.

Af: My dad actually owns something that looks quite like that..XD

And Robino, It's more shocking that they didn't say something along the lines of, "omg GG&A forum n00b."
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Allllrighty then, I'm back with the money necessary to buy all this stuff..But, I have another question.

This is what my setup looks like:
Amp

Speakers

Head Unit

What I'm wanting to know, if they will all go together well. My dad was saying that there aren't enough speakers for that amp, but I wasn't sure. Halp?
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA