My setup is
-Schecter Omen 6 (Black)
- line 6 Spider III 30 Watt, usually borrow my brothers 100 watt Marshall

I'm thinking of adding new pickups to my guitar
right now i'm looking at
- Seymore Duncan Blackout Active Humbucker Set
- EMG Zakk Wylde 81/85 Humbucker Set

What do yall think, Or is there a better set of humbuckers?

I play a wide variety of music, from RHCP to Slipknot, so I need pickups that are good thru all sounds

my price range goes to bout 200-250 tops
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
I recommend you change your amp before your pickups... but would you prefer actives or passives? With actives I don't think you'd get a good RHCP sound...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Active pickups aren't really for all types of music. For metal they're great. For other styles they lack a little articulation and color. Take a look into some passive pickups. I'm really big on Dimarzio.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
If yoyu want all around good sound, try Seymour Duncan Invaders, it is what synyster gates uses. See if that is what your looking for. I think that a set is only 80 bucks.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Ino this might sound stupid, i don't know all the mechanics and electronics ina guitar, but is it possible to have one passive and one active?

see i usually only use my neck Humbucker, because i like that higher sound in my clean and slightly distorted (like led Zeppelin, AC/dc), but i use my bridge humbucker 4 my hard metal songs so...idk if theres cetain pickups or setups that can get that.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

I just noticed your sig, and you say that you need more power for an amp.

I hope that DOESN'T mean you want a 120w Spider or MG...
You can have an active and a passive, but you will need individual vol and tone pots for each pickup, as passives uses 500k or 250k (500 for humbuckers) and actives use 25k. I will see if I can make a wiring diagram up for you if you want. Thats actually a good idea, an active pickup in the bridge for metal and a good passive pickup in the neck for rock. Just remember a pickup doesn't have to be active to be metal
Good Luck!
Quote by guitarcam123
You can have an active and a passive, but you will need individual vol and tone pots for each pickup, as passives uses 500k or 250k (500 for humbuckers) and actives use 25k. I will see if I can make a wiring diagram up for you if you want. Thats actually a good idea, an active pickup in the bridge for metal and a good passive pickup in the neck for rock. Just remember a pickup doesn't have to be active to be metal
Good Luck!

Makes sense, but sound confusing and kinda expensive.If i do get my pickups changed ill most likely just take it to guitar center, cus i suck at those kind of things. Also if i put in a active pickup will my guitar have to be changed in any significant way (internally) to fit it in, or to accommodate it?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

you will need to have enough room inside for a 9v battery, but that should usually fit into your control cavity. To be honest wiring pickups isn't all that hard. All you need is a cheap $10 - $20 solder gun, and a role of solder stuff. You just need to solder it all together!
Quote by guitarcam123
you will need to have enough room inside for a 9v battery, but that should usually fit into your control cavity. To be honest wiring pickups isn't all that hard. All you need is a cheap $10 - $20 solder gun, and a role of solder stuff. You just need to solder it all together!

Kewl, thx man, now I just need to find a good pair of passive/active pickups to work good together.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

from experience, i'd advise the EMG 81/60,
the 60 will give you beautiful cleans,
and the 81 will give you crisper (loss of words) stuff.

but, thats just my opinion

EDIT:
If you're going to install them yourself,
you should consult someone on some
pointers,
i tried, but, maybe im just retarded, but
some parts of it were confusing.
BulletzAreScene
Last edited by BulletzAreScene at Oct 17, 2008,
If space in the pot cavity is an issue (like a for a battery). Look at a Pasive. I just got a Bill Lawrence XL-500L(in the bridge). It sounds great for anything it has lots of gain when you need it. And its not like other Metal pickups were it only plays Metal and only Metal. It plays what ever style you will ever want to play.
A passive and a Active together is always a bad idea. A passive will screw with your Active it will rob sound if not instaled properly. And seeing as your a newbie to soldering its not gunna be good.
Typical price range on the stuff you'll need are as follows:In US cash.

Volume/Tone Pots= $2.00 -10.00
Solder Iron= $10-$20 or more
Wire= $2.00-$15.00
Solder= $5.00-20.00
For the solder. You don't want a solder with a high acid rosin core it won't conduct to well.
Practice soldering if you really want to keep things cheap. Guitar Shops will bend you over if they suspect that you don't know what your talking about. And most of all always do your reseach before you start a new wiring project.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
The EMG HA's are a bit on the cleaner side. They are actually Single coils in a humbucker housing. Good Luck anyway!
Quote by Clutch32192
Kewl, thx man, now I just need to find a good pair of passive/active pickups to work good together.

It's really not worth the expense or the bother until you upgrade your amp - and mixing an active with a passive is just pointless.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com