Just exactly what it sounds like, they usually do it on guitars on the 12th fret and beyond. The wood in between the frets is scalloped or dipped so that you can press on the string harder to bend, see for example, Yngwie Malmsteen's stratocasters.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
im not quite sure, but i think they make bends and vibratos easier, making it able to bend the strings much higher.
SEX!

Now I have your attention, witness the awesomeness that is my sig

Quote by GuitarManDan15
win

Free Dean V To Loving Home
Well you only need to lightly touch the string
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
It doesn't need to be only on 12+ frets, you can have them all if you want.
It makes playing fast easier, and bending/vibrato easier too.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Like those pictures show, but I don't see a necessary reason behind having them before the 12th fret, just seems lazy and impractical.

The reason I say all of that is because the strings get harder to bend the closer you get to the bridge. . . Either way, Scalloped frets are for whiny fat swed's who have butt sounding tone and use extra light strings. . . which further cause it to sound like butt.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Last edited by notsee at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by notsee
Like those pictures show, but I don't see a necessary reason behind having them before the 12th fret, just seems lazy and impractical.

The reason I say all of that is because the strings get harder to bend the closer you get to the bridge. . . Either way, Scalloped frets are for whiny fat swed's who have butt sounding tone and use extra light strings. . . which further cause it to sound like butt.

+100

Suck on that Yngwie.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
It doesn't need to be only on 12+ frets, you can have them all if you want.
It makes playing fast easier, and bending/vibrato easier too.

I heard Yngwie said he does it to actually make playing harder! What an ego. I have heard that it is very diffrent playing with scaollops. Some one told me it takes a steadier hand. i never tried one myself though.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
I heard Yngwie said he does it to actually make playing harder! What an ego. I have heard that it is very diffrent playing with scaollops. Some one told me it takes a steadier hand. i never tried one myself though.

A guitar with scalloped frets also increases the size of your penis, or so Yngwie would say. Honestly, it would only make it as much harder as XJ frets(wire) does. Notice how new guitarists tend to press down to hard on strings and it actually raises the pitch a few cents away from what it should be, occasionally as far as to make it a half step off? Well, Scalloped frets can do the same thing to a person not just pressing to make the string meet the fret. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Quote by nightraven
it does make playing fast harder. it also limits your ability to play chords if you've got the whole fretboard scalloped since some of the chord will be out of pitch due to how easy it is to vibrato with the scallops.
yngwie malmsteen is great.

As stated above, only if you lack control and press the strings too hard. As long as you know how to play guitar and aren't new to the instrument, you'll be fine. Just like how people think Fretless guitars/basses are so hard. All it takes is playing one to know whether or not it is, but most people would rather assume than test.

I've seen people play my ESP and I could hear their pitch being off simply because of XJ frets. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Yngwie:

"I never really wanted to scallop my guitar, but one day I decided to try it out on my guitar. So I went into my fathers wood shop and just sat there for a while doing quite a bad job at it *laughs* but eventually with some help I managed to make it look and feel good. Now for those who question why I do it, its not for speed. Quite the contrary, I do it so I can get a better grip on the string. I don't know about others playing but it always allowed me to express more."

Thats what he said.
Yngwie's ego is unparalleled.

Anyway, don't let other people make the decisions for you. If there's a guitar you're looking at with scalloped frets, try it out, and if you like it then that's it. But try different stuff on it, chords, bends, everything.
There's nothing different about a scalloped fret guitar except bends and vibrato are easier. I've played two (one up to the the 15th, one up to the 10th) and they were both great to play. I'm looking into getting my G400 frets scalloped to the 15th, like Tony Iommi (who has every fret scalloped).

Actually, I'm reconsidering because of the price. $25 a fret >.<
Last edited by xHellbound at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by notsee

nice ignorant comment there
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)