does that mean that virtuoso guitar playing is now slowly becoming more accerpted among the mainstream public?(ie marketing tool)
yeah
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis
....virtuouso guitar hero playing that is

*insert that unplugged guitar hero episode of south park here*
to a point maybe, but I don't think it will ever get as big as it was in the mid 80s (thank god)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Shred to me implys that its just fast and contains nothing really musical, o i hope not. I dont have a problem with high speed playing but shred just sounds like those crappy youtube videos where they claim they are the fastest guitar player ever.
Quote by fretlight545
does that mean that virtuoso guitar playing is now slowly becoming more accerpted among the mainstream public?(ie marketing tool)

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
to a point maybe, but I don't think it will ever get as big as it was in the mid 80s (thank god)

You take that back
Quote by Eric 666
You take that back

I'm sorry, but when good musicianship and songwriting takes a back seat to "I'm going to record an entire album of technical exercises" it's just sad.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm sorry, but when good musicianship and songwriting takes a back seat to "I'm going to record an entire album of technical exercises" it's just sad.

That didn't happen until later though, once shred hit the underground again. Most 80's shredders usually complimented the music very well, at least in my opinion, there are of course their exceptions, but...in the mainstream, not really. What WAS huge though was the hair, the ridiculous videos and the ridiculous poses
Quote by masterohumans
Shred to me implys that its just fast and contains nothing really musical, o i hope not. I dont have a problem with high speed playing but shred just sounds like those crappy youtube videos where they claim they are the fastest guitar player ever.

It's because the majority of shredders who shred without musical creativity ARE on youtube.
There's many shredders out there who make dazzling rhythmical patterns and melodic patterns just by playing fast, and it really does sound good and really confusing at the same time that you can sometimes sing as a whole the "melody" that is made by a bunch of notes.
Fast playing adds to the passion and intensity to the music you hear. Similiar to what the highest notes do, but it'll add the extra passion if you shred on the high notes in the correct places. You can't just shred the whole song, that'd sound terrible.
Remember that even the most appreciated orchestra, violin, piano music has fast passages, similar to what you would call shred on guitar.

Shred is not the music, shred is just an element you can add to music.
And like every element, you learn it, and then learn how to apply it, and then get better each time you use it.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Oct 17, 2008,
Of course. Think how many virtuoso's there are.. Stevie Vai, Joe Satch, John5, Bireli Lagrene, the list could go on for a while.

Then think about 1800... we had Paganini rocking the strings!

But.. maybe thats just because the internet lets us spread knowledge and see more virtuosos.. before Youtube no one had heard of Cesar Heusca etc.
Quote by Eric 666
That didn't happen until later though, once shred hit the underground again. Most 80's shredders usually complimented the music very well, at least in my opinion, there are of course their exceptions, but...in the mainstream, not really. What WAS huge though was the hair, the ridiculous videos and the ridiculous poses

Yeah, but since the emphasis of technique over musicalilty is still a major current on the virtuoso guitar scene if it got popular again youd get a lot of really boring non-musical crap, and that backlash against it would be even bigger than it was before.

Last.fm
Quote by masterohumans

*Ahem*

Listen to Vinnie Moore...

That is all...

*leaves thread