pretty self explanatory. my bro is gettin me a bass, told me to pick one out under $200 bucks and send him a link. im thinkin either a rogue or a dean metalman. my style is a grungey-metal, but on bass i have played more funk and popping style stuff, like primus. any advice, more than appreciated.
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
Do not get a rogue, I hear they're horrible. Get a squier vm jazz bass or an ibanez of some kind.
For 200$ is strongly advise the ibanez gsr its sounds and feels great for the price and can play anything from funk to hard rock, also for an extra 40$ you can get it in a flamed maple finnish which is what i have and it looks sick!
hmmm.... I wonder...

hey look, what's that? V
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm gonna have to say Ibanez GSR200
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
yep, heres another vote for the GSR 200. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

The great things about it are its well made, its got a good variety of tones for its price and its quite an easy bass to play and learn slap on. Its a very good bass for the money.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
You can't get anything good in the bass world for $200 and under, I'm sorry. Guitars, maybe, but bass, no, just no.

It would only be good for just acclimating you to what a bass is and how it works, Don't expect to play gigs with it or expect it to stand up to regular practice past a year. And at that price the neck is %100 gonna shit out with in a year.

Just spend a little more and get something that is qaulity and will last. The $200 range will pretty much give you a certified shitfactory. Remember, that price range of bass is pretty much made by the lowest bidder, by workers who make probably about 5 cents and hour so i would just try to spend atleast $400.
Last edited by Bathory fan at Oct 20, 2008,
^Totally agree. You can't fake quality, and a crappy instrument might scare you off from bass as a whole.

That said, there's an entire section in the Bass Forum FAQ devoted to this question. It's pretty much required reading for those new to this neck of the woods.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
actually the GSR200 is quite a decent "all-around" bass for the price range. you would have to spend at least another $200 to get a better bass, IMO!!.
squier affintys or ibanez gsr200
both quality solid basses
BTW i have played many gigs with my old GSR200 i am playing many more with my current squier, people sometimes forgets about overpricing
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400