Hey, i'm usually really bad at interpreting poems and songs. Like i can figure out what the more straightforward ones speak about or maybe if someone gives me a clue about what it means or interprets, i can follow it from there.

But usually there are loads of songs and poems i just can't seem to make sense of at all. The skill of poetry/artistic interpretation is really lacking in me.
So i was wondering if i could get any help on how i can build up this skill as it will help me a lot at understanding better some of the great works out there and coming up with my own interpretations of it rather than looking up what other people make out of it and take their word for it.

I presume it'ld also help me read, understand and study gets writers and their works much better which could help me express my feelings much better in writing too as i'm not that great at that either.

So do any of you literate people out here help me out with this or sorta give me some tips and suggestions on how i can improve my skills at studying and understanding writings better...

Thanks.
examples?
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
no can you give me an example so i could answer your questions more insightfully
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
interpret the songs to make sense to you and your life.

One song may mean something totally different someone else than what you had in mind.

Thats the beauty of lyrics..don't try to figure it out, let it figure out you.

Keep an open mind....feel, dont try to feel, let your emotions out, don't force them, okay don't force too much, catch youself, find you......then write, and listen.
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
examples?

Well, i can't think of anything specific lately, but say something like Edgar Allan Poe's Raven was a poem i always found hard to get my head around...
Now it is quite a long poem and i haven't probably read it enough times to understand it properly... But even generally speaking, i'm pretty bad with this...

I even get lost with a lot of Tool's lyrics.
I don't think you're supposed to understand Edgar allen Poe's Raven. I bet even he didn't completely understand it. It more of evokes a feeling.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I don't think you're supposed to understand Edgar allen Poe's Raven. I bet even he didn't completely understand it. It more of evokes a feeling.

yeah, don't look for a meaning. Create it.

Sometimes there are just no right or wrong answers.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Well, i can't think of anything specific lately, but say something like Edgar Allan Poe's Raven was a poem i always found hard to get my head around...
Now it is quite a long poem and i haven't probably read it enough times to understand it properly... But even generally speaking, i'm pretty bad with this...

I even get lost with a lot of Tool's lyrics.

Most of Poe's work was about creating beauty, not delivering any kind of message, so it's not surprising you can't figure out the Raven.

Try interpreting some fairly obvious poetry - Sylvia Plath's 'Daddy' or 'Lady Lazarus', or Larkin's 'Vers de Societe'. There are a number of different ways to interpret these poems, but they're not massively subtle. Robert Browning is also a good one to have a go at.