Hey I was just wondering whether you could help me to find a distortion pedal where you can set different presets but which is also of high quality? Are they any pedals you could recommend, e.g. BOSS OD-20 pedal.
Thanks a lot.
Jack.
Last edited by jacko_17 at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by mcrfobtai

No, what amp do you have?

ahhh apologies!!
I have a Spider III Line 6 with an Epiphone Dot guitar. I am looking to get some varying sounds of distortion that I can use for different songs when I play live.
thanks a lot.
uh...I hate to inform you, but no pedal is going to work with that amp.

Get a tube amp (or christ, a better modeling amp) if you want to start using pedals.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
orite, what's the reasons for that?
and what amp do you recommend? also will pedals just generally not work well with a line 6 amp?
cheers!
The Spider (and other modeling amps) already have effects built in, and they just tend to sound bad with outside pedals.

Have you tried switching models on the Spider to change the sound?
Saint Louis Blues
Hmm i know they do have effects on them already however some of them are quite limited i.e the flanger, tremolo only have one knob for them etc. What type/make of amp would you reccommend if I wanted to use some outsider pedals?
cheers
I'd recommend any tube amp (like those cheap Crate tube amps, like a v18 or v33 or something like that), or a solid state amp that's got a good clean channel that you can use a distortion pedal on to run something like a Metal Muff on.

I use a Metal Muff on the clean channel of my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL, and it works like a dream.

You also might indeed find the "clean" channel on your Spider and get a Metal Muff and see if it just sounds like crap, and if it does, get a new amp. Doesn't have to be expensive, just get one with a good clean sound.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Thank-you for your help. Could you answer a few more queries please, it's addictively helpful?

1) Would something like this be ideal for using a few pedals but to get a real nice, clear sound:

http://www.pulseonline.com/crate12.htm

Or have you got any links of yourselves for ideas for amps, my maximum price range would be about 250/300 pounds?

2) Would I need some kind of noise suprressing pedal for an amp like that withseveral effects pedals running through it and what can I do/use to make sure the quality of the sound stays the same with all the effects through it too?

3) Why do some people have cabs and heads whereas other people have combo amps? Is there a big difference sound wise or volume wise?

Thank-you for your help
That would be a fine amp.

No, you shouldn't need an Noise gate, just make sure your amp has an effects loop.

People like heads because a) it looks cooler and b) you can use different cabs.
Depending on the cab, there can be sound difference yes. At the same wattage, little volume difference/
Quote by mcrfobtai
That would be a fine amp.

No, you shouldn't need an Noise gate, just make sure your amp has an effects loop.

People like heads because a) it looks cooler and b) you can use different cabs.
Depending on the cab, there can be sound difference yes. At the same wattage, little volume difference/

+1

the only thing I'd say differently is that depending on the AMOUNT of pedals that you're going to put through the effects loop, you might end up inducing a lot more noise than you want, which might justify an ISP decimator or MXR smart gate purchase.

If you're only talking about like 3-4 pedals, you MOST LIKELY won't need a noise gate unless you do something like put a compressor in front of every other pedal you use in the effect chain.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
orite so that amp i just mentioned would be fine for gigging and recording in a band and stuff?
Also, one more question ha, does it matter about the order of the pedals in the chain leading up to the amp and if so what happens when you put certain pedals in different places?
Thanks a lot
Quote by jacko_17
Thank-you for your help. Could you answer a few more queries please, it's addictively helpful?

1) Would something like this be ideal for using a few pedals but to get a real nice, clear sound:

http://www.pulseonline.com/crate12.htm

Or have you got any links of yourselves for ideas for amps, my maximum price range would be about 250/300 pounds?

2) Would I need some kind of noise suprressing pedal for an amp like that withseveral effects pedals running through it and what can I do/use to make sure the quality of the sound stays the same with all the effects through it too?

3) Why do some people have cabs and heads whereas other people have combo amps? Is there a big difference sound wise or volume wise?

Thank-you for your help

I hear good things about those amps, and I've never seen a tube amp so cheap. There's an even cheaper 18-watt one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

There's definitely one of those in my future.

Quote by jacko_17
orite so that amp i just mentioned would be fine for gigging and recording in a band and stuff?
Also, one more question ha, does it matter about the order of the pedals in the chain leading up to the amp and if so what happens when you put certain pedals in different places?
Thanks a lot

Recording? Yes. I can't speak for just exactly how loud 33 watts is, but I'm fairly sure that'll just barely cut through the drums, if at all.

All that changing the order of your pedals will do is effect the sound of your rig. In fact, you'll have to figure out where everything goes for yourself.
You're*
yeah having your pedals in different places can effect the sound. for example you need to have delay pedals after a noise gate or the noise gate will cut out the effect. its best just to mess around with them when you get some pedals.
Quote by Survivalism
I hear good things about those amps, and I've never seen a tube amp so cheap. There's an even cheaper 18-watt one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

There's definitely one of those in my future.

Recording? Yes. I can't speak for just exactly how loud 33 watts is, but I'm fairly sure that'll just barely cut through the drums, if at all.

All that changing the order of your pedals will do is effect the sound of your rig. In fact, you'll have to figure out where everything goes for yourself.

33w tube? That'll be more then enough for your gigs