I just figured out the mapping of the harmonic minor scale up and down the whole fretboard. I did this mostly because i wanted to try something new and i thought it sounded good.

And now I have this scale....but I'm not sure what I can apply it to.

Does anyone even play with this scale? Do you know of any songs that use this scale?

thanks

- A*Mart
A-mart
Harmonic minor is better thought of as an alteration to the minor scale than as a scale in its own right. It is merely a byproduct of the use of a V chord in a minor key, which is common as it offers a strong resolution to the tonic. You wouldn't say that a song is "in harmonic minor", as "minor" implies a V chord anyway.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You don't typically use it for entire songs, just segments. There are a couple of examples, though.

The Sulatans of Swing
Stray Cat Strut
Europa

All of these use the characteristic V7 chord. The natural seven in that scale gives you a natural third for your 5 chord. A typical Harmonic Minor progression would be Dm - C - Bb - A (A would be the 5 chord).
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I use this scale a huge amount, I love it. I like how it has a major 5th chord, which can give it a nice, almost spanish-like sound. For example in Am play Am, F, E. I think that sounds fantasic.

As far as songs are concerned I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I do believe I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry uses the Am harmonic scale. (I am not a fan, I simply learnt the song because it is catchy and people will know the words if I play it at a party or something!) You could solo over that I guess, if that's what you were after lol, sorry.

Ps- most of the time you would simply flick into the harmonic minor from the natural, when you want the major 7th interval. Likewise you could do the same with the melodic minor's major 6th. Hope that makes sense.
I think that "Slash" uses Harmonic Minor scales at times. The solo for Sweet Child has a few Harmonic Minor licks in it. (Not sure if it's actually Harmonic Minor, in the context of the song, but it's the same patterns).

I've also found that if I play something in Phrygian mode, I can easily add one note and it becomes Harmonic Minor...but I think it's called "Phrygian Dominant Mode" when you do it that way.

You guys PLZ correct me if I'm wrong....I am trying my best to comprehend all this theory I don't want to mis-inform anyone!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
By Santana? When? I love that song and I've never noticed any harmonic minor.

I'm not too sure of if the lead does it, but the rhythm does. On the G7, right before the Cm (and ultimately the Cmaj7 in the second phrase). He does it in each phrase until the (I guess) B section, where it's just Cm-Fm.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I use it quite a bit because I enjoy the mysterious/exotic sound it has.

For artists that use it - well, Yngwie Malmsteem overuses the hell out of it!
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I'm not too sure of if the lead does it, but the rhythm does. On the G7, right before the Cm (and ultimately the Cmaj7 in the second phrase). He does it in each phrase until the (I guess) B section, where it's just Cm-Fm.

That's just "minor". Minor implies the use of a V chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I've never learned how to play it. Can you give me approximate times?
Quote by ClassAxe
I've also found that if I play something in Phrygian mode, I can easily add one note and it becomes Harmonic Minor...but I think it's called "Phrygian Dominant Mode" when you do it that way.

It depends on where it resolves to.
A Harmonic Minor and E Phyrgian Dominant, for example, have the same notes...
I don't feel like explaining what resolution means, somebody else do it :P
Phrygian Dominant is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. Its intervals are 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7, so it is phrygian with a major third, not an added note. E Phrygian Dominant is NOT A Harmonic Minor, much like F Lydian is not C Major.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Phrygian Dominant is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. Its intervals are 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7, so it is phrygian with a major third, not an added note. E Phrygian Dominant is NOT A Harmonic Minor, much like F Lydian is not C Major.

Thank you for explaining that for me! Maybe all of this will eventually sink in........
Quote by ClassAxe
Thank you for explaining that for me! Maybe all of this will eventually sink in........
If you're waiting for it to sink in, you probably don't understand it, which is largely my fault as I tried to teach it to you. Is there anything you would like me to clarify?
Quote by Freepower
G7->Cm?

Yeah. In Western tonal harmony, the dominant chord is major, regardless of whether you're playing in a major or minor key. It's so prevalent that describing something as "in harmonic minor" is redundant unless harmonic minor forms the basis of the melody as well, or if you are actually deriving the entire progression from it (as in the various augmented and mMaj7 chords). Harmonic minor, in most genres, is really only treated as a side effect of the use of a V chord anyway. A major seventh may very well be used in the melody, but it will be determined by the context (the direction of movement, the underlying chord, etc)
^ but not everyone is familiar with the idea that "minor" necessarily implies a V chord. To point out the V chord as meaning the harmonic minor scale has been used in a song is entirely correct, and what I assume they were talking about.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I've never learned how to play it. Can you give me approximate times?

The progression goes Fm7 - Bbmaj7 - Ebmaj7 - Dm7b5 - G7 - Cm (then Cmaj7 in the second verse). The G7 chord comes in at about 18-19 seconds in. This same chord progression is used in Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues" for the majority of the song, just in Am instead of Cm.