its been a while since ive posted. so i come with a bit of a problem.

so heres whats goin on. me and my friend just started a band a few weeks ago. we got in our first couple of practices in over the week. i play lead guitar. and i have this rythum guitarist who says hes been playing fro 10 years. but ive come to find hes having a problem playing the simplest of chords. but he also claims to be a lefty. and right now we dont have a full set of strings in order to flip one of our guitars around. oh and i forgot to mention that he has no gear whatsoever. only an acoustic that is of no use to us.

we are looking to be a metal band although we are working with a chick singer. nothing we cant handle.

were thinking of getting another guitarist. a freind of mine who happens to be in my bassist guitar class. he seems pretty good and has a few guitars and a good sized amp. our only problem- our current rythum guitarist is a good freind to the bassist and chick singer. he also can get us shows and helped us locate a drummer.

what shold we do exactly? im not sure at this point
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
seriously if he claims he been playing for 10 years and cant perform the deeds of a one year ex guitarist, i think its time to tell him Gently, that he is unable to perform the deeds of the band, i no he helped u out, but im sure if u do it correctly, he would still help out and be there for yas,

But u never no maybe as soon as he gets his lefty he may be the worlds best, lol
why dont you get the guy in your class to play bass?
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
That's a tough one man...in my opinion, you have three options:

- Kick him out outright (of course after discussing it with the rest of the band)
- Butter him up and tell him what a great manager he would make, maybe tell him about all the gear he'll need to buy and he might come up with the idea on his own
- Bring in a third guitarist and give him the simplest parts and turn them down in the mix
Make your current rhythm man your manager. No good band is without one, and if all he can do is get you shows and such, then he should be your manager.
The more people, generally, the more noise and more trouble for everyone to stay together. The weakest link will ruin practice for everyone.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
take into account he is apparently a lefty playing a right handed guitar. should i stick it out and see what he can do with a lefty asap?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by Raiderkid38
take into account he is apparently a lefty playing a right handed guitar. should i stick it out and see what he can do with a lefty asap?

yeah at least give him a chance
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
I was once in a similar situation. My old band had three guitar players and to be honest it just created a lot of excess noise and confusion, especially since the third player could never keep time. I mean if you want to give him a chance then by all means do it, but in the end he might hold you back considering the lack of gear.
I am of the opinion that if you don't have decent, giggable gear, you should not be in a band. What happens when it comes time to play live? If this guy has actually been playing for 10 years, he should own more guitars, and a giggable amp.
have you ever thought maybe he cant play any chords because the guitar he is using is upside down for him
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
If he's been playing guitar for ten years and is left-handed, then why doesn't he have a left-handed guitar?
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
Quote by thevoidguitar1
If he's been playing guitar for ten years and is left-handed, then why doesn't he have a left-handed guitar?

thats what i'm wondering.

I believe this guy may have outright lied to you. A lot of times guys say they've been playing for X amount of years but that probably includes the amount of time their guitar was just sitting around in their room before they really get serious about it. If I ever included the amount of time I had a guitar laying around, I could say i've been playing for 6 years. I don't, so I say yeah i've had a guitar for 6 years but i've only been playing seriously for 3 1/2. This guy probably has had a guitar laying around for a while and never really played it.

If all he's good at is getting you gigs, than make him your manager. Utilize those talents because it sounds to me like he can't really do other stuff. And what do you mean you don't have extra strings to flip a guitar around. They don't cost that much man.
If not, just outright fire him.